Propagation amplitude and time-evolution operator

In summary, the time-evolution operator in quantum mechanics is e^{-iHt}. The amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in a given time is the position representation of the Schrodinger time-evolution operator.
spaghetti3451
I know that the time-evolution operator in quantum mechanics is ##e^{-iHt}##.

Is this also called the Schrodinger time-evolution operator?

Also, can you guys explain why the amplitude ##U(x_{a},x_{b};T)## for a particle to travel from one point ##(x_{a})## to another ##(x_{b})## in a given time ##(T)## is the ##\textit{position representation}## of the Schrodinger time-evolution operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Also, can you guys explain why the amplitude U(xa,xb;T)U(xa,xb;T)U(x_{a},x_{b};T) for a particle to travel from one point (xa)(xa)(x_{a}) to another (xb)(xb)(x_{b}) in a given time (T)(T)(T) is the position representationposition representation\textit{position representation} of the Schrodinger time-evolution operator?
Directly translating that statement into quantum mechanical languange, you start with a particle being in a position operator eigenfunction ##|x_a \rangle##. Then this state evolve in time according to the time-independent Hamiltonian the system subjects to. This means operating the time evolution operator ##U = \exp(-iHt)## to the initial state, thus ##\exp(-iHt)|x_a \rangle##. Finally after time ##t=T##, you measure the particle's position in another place ##x=x_b##, which translates into the projection of the last state into ##|x_b \rangle##. In the end, you have ##\langle x_b |\exp(-iHT)|x_a \rangle = U(x_a,x_b;T)##. The last expression may be interpreted as the matrix element of the operator ##U## in position basis.

Likes spaghetti3451
blue_leaf77 said:
Directly translating that statement into quantum mechanical languange, you start with a particle being in a position operator eigenfunction ##|x_a \rangle##. Then this state evolve in time according to the time-independent Hamiltonian the system subjects to. This means operating the time evolution operator ##U = \exp(-iHt)## to the initial state, thus ##\exp(-iHt)|x_a \rangle##. Finally after time ##t=T##, you measure the particle's position in another place ##x=x_b##, which translates into the projection of the last state into ##|x_b \rangle##. In the end, you have ##\langle x_b |\exp(-iHT)|x_a \rangle = U(x_a,x_b;T)##. The last expression may be interpreted as the matrix element of the operator ##U## in position basis.

Thank you, this is a great answer. But, let me ask one counter-question.

What's you've mentioned is in the canonical Hamiltonian formalism. In that formalism, the propagation amplitude is in the position rep of the time-evolution operator.

But, in the path-integral formalism,

##U(x_a,x_b;T) = \int \mathcal{D}x(t)\ e^{iS[x(t)]/\hbar}##.

How is this in the position rep of the time evolution operator?

failexam said:
How is this in the position rep of the time evolution operator?
The derivation to show that the propagation kernel in Feynman path integral and that in Schrödinger wave mechanics are identical is rather long, but it can indeed shown that they actually coincide. For this purpose you can check Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics in section 2.5. The author really addresses the answer to your question.

Thanks for the references.

So, what you're essentially saying is that it only makes sense to talk about the position representation of the time-evolution operator in Schrodinger wave mechanics?

And furthermore that, it does not make sense to talk about position (or momentum representation) in Feynman's path integral formalism?

failexam said:
Thanks for the references.

So, what you're essentially saying is that it only makes sense to talk about the position representation of the time-evolution operator in Schrodinger wave mechanics?

And furthermore that, it does not make sense to talk about position (or momentum representation) in Feynman's path integral formalism?

I will try to answer all your questions in one go. Okay, start with the representation-free Schrödinger equation:
[tex]i \partial_{t}|\Psi (t) \rangle = H |\Psi (t) \rangle .[/tex]
For time-independent Hamiltonian, we have the following formal solution
[tex]|\Psi (t + \epsilon) \rangle = e^{- i H \epsilon} | \Psi (t) \rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
Now, consider complete orthonormal set labelled by continuous real parameter [itex]\alpha[/itex]
[tex]\int d\alpha \ |\alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | = I , \ \ \ \langle \alpha | \bar{\alpha} \rangle = \delta (\alpha - \bar{\alpha}) .[/tex]
In this [itex]\alpha[/itex]-representation, equation (1) becomes
[tex]\langle \alpha | \Psi (t + \epsilon) \rangle = \int d \bar{\alpha} \ \langle \alpha | e^{- i H \epsilon} | \bar{\alpha}\rangle \langle \bar{\alpha}| \Psi (t) \rangle .[/tex]
In wave-function language, this is written as
[tex]\Psi (\alpha , t + \epsilon) = \int d \bar{\alpha} \ K(\alpha , \epsilon ; \bar{\alpha}) \ \Psi (\bar{\alpha} , t) , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
where
[tex]K(\alpha , \epsilon ; \bar{\alpha}) \equiv \langle \alpha | e^{- i H \epsilon} | \bar{\alpha}\rangle ,[/tex]
is the propagator in the [itex]\alpha[/itex]-representation.
So, in the coordinate representation, (2) becomes
[tex]\psi ( x , t + \epsilon) = \int d \bar{x} \ K( x , \epsilon ; \bar{x}) \ \psi (\bar{x} , t) , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
and, in the momentum representation it becomes
[tex]\phi ( p , t + \epsilon) = \int d \bar{p} \ \Gamma( p , \epsilon ; \bar{p}) \ \phi (\bar{p} , t) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (4)[/tex]
Now, using the fact that [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are the Fourier transform of each other:
[tex]\psi (\bar{x} , t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int d \bar{p} \ e^{i \bar{p} \bar{x}} \ \phi (\bar{p} , t) ,[/tex]
[tex]\phi (p , t + \epsilon) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int dx \ e^{- i px} \ \psi (x , t + \epsilon) ,[/tex]
you can easily find the following relation between the p-space propagator [itex]\Gamma[/itex] and the x-space one [itex]K[/itex]:
[tex]\Gamma (p , \epsilon ; \bar{p}) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int dx d\bar{x} \ e^{- i px} \ K(x , \epsilon ; \bar{x}) \ e^{i \bar{p}\bar{x}} .[/tex]
In the path-integral formalism, the propagator is given by the classical action integral:
[tex]K(x,\epsilon;\bar{x}) = C \ e^{- i \int dt L} = C \ e^{- \frac{(\bar{x} - x )^{2}}{2 i \epsilon}} \ e^{- i \epsilon V(\bar{x})} . \ \ \ (5)[/tex]
We will now show (as Feynman did in his original paper) that, for a certain value for the constant [itex]C[/itex], the Schrödinger equation in the coordinate representation follows from Eq(3) in the limit [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex].
Substituting (5) in (3) and changing the variable of integration as
[tex]\bar{x} - x = y ,[/tex]
we get
[tex]\psi(x , t + \epsilon) = C \int dy \ e^{ - \frac{y^{2}}{2 i \epsilon}} \ e^{- i \epsilon V(x+y)} \ \psi(x + y , t) . \ \ \ \ (6)[/tex]
The next steps involve a small head ach of Taylor expansions and Gaussian integrals. So, let us expand [itex]V(x+y)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x+y,t)[/itex] about [itex]y = 0[/itex]
[tex]V(x + y) = V(x) + y V^{’}(x) + \cdots ,[/tex]
[tex]\psi(x + y , t) = \psi(x,t) + y \psi^{’}(x,t) + \frac{y^{2}}{2} \psi^{’’}(x,t) + \cdots .[/tex]
Notice that [itex]\exp\left(-i\epsilon V(x)\right)[/itex] does not depend on [itex]y[/itex], so it can be factored out from the integral. And, since we are considering an infinitesimal time-step, i.e., the [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex] limit of the integral (6), we may write
[tex]e^{-i\epsilon V(x)} = 1 - i \epsilon V(x) .[/tex]
We can also drop the factor [itex]\exp \left(- i \epsilon y V^{’}(x) \right)[/itex]: When the integration over [itex]y[/itex] is performed, the contribution of this factor will be of order [itex]\epsilon^{3/2}[/itex]. Putting all of this in Eq(6), and using
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dy \ y \ e^{- y^{2}/ 2i \epsilon} = 0 ,[/tex]
we find
[tex]
\psi(x , t + \epsilon ) = C \psi(x,t) \int dy \ e^{- y^{2} / 2i \epsilon} + \frac{C}{2} \psi^{’’}(x,t) \int dy y^{2} e^{- y^{2} / 2i \epsilon} - i \epsilon C V(x) \psi(x,t) \int dy e^{- y^{2} / 2i \epsilon} .
[/tex]
Now, if we make use of the following Gaussian integrals
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dy \ e^{- y^{2} / 2i \epsilon} = \sqrt{2i \epsilon \pi} ,[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dy \ y^{2} e^{- y^{2} / 2i \epsilon} = i \epsilon \ \sqrt{2i \epsilon \pi} ,[/tex]
and take
[tex]C = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2i \epsilon \pi}} ,[/tex]
we find
[tex]
- i \frac{\psi(x , t + \epsilon) - \psi(x , t)}{\epsilon} = \frac{1}{2} \psi^{’’}(x,t) - V(x) \psi(x,t) .
[/tex]
Thus, by letting [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex], we obtain the coordinate space Schrödinger equation
[tex]- i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} \psi(x,t) - V(x)\psi(x,t) .[/tex]
Okay, if you are brave enough, try to redo the above method using the momentum-space propagator [itex]\Gamma (p , \epsilon ; \bar{p})[/itex] in Eq(4), and obtain the momentum-space Schrödinger equation
[tex]
i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \phi(p,t) = \frac{p^{2}}{2}\phi(p,t) + \int d\bar{p} \ V(p - \bar{p}) \phi ( \bar{p} , t) .
[/tex]
Probably, you will be the first one to do it :smile:

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ, vanhees71, blue_leaf77 and 1 other person

1. What is the propagation amplitude in quantum mechanics?

The propagation amplitude in quantum mechanics is a mathematical concept that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point in space and time to another. It is calculated using the time-evolution operator, which takes into account the effects of the Hamiltonian on the state of the particle.

2. How is the propagation amplitude related to the time-evolution operator?

The propagation amplitude is directly related to the time-evolution operator. The time-evolution operator is responsible for the time evolution of a quantum system, and the propagation amplitude is calculated by applying this operator to the initial state of the system and projecting it onto the final state at a given time.

3. How does the time-evolution operator work?

The time-evolution operator is a mathematical operator that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and takes into account the Hamiltonian of the system, which includes the potential energy and kinetic energy of the particles. By applying this operator to the initial state of the system, we can calculate the state of the system at any given time.

4. What is the significance of the propagation amplitude in quantum mechanics?

The propagation amplitude is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another over time. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems, such as the movement of particles in a potential well or the decay of a radioactive nucleus.

5. How can the propagation amplitude and time-evolution operator be used in practical applications?

The propagation amplitude and time-evolution operator are essential tools in solving problems in quantum mechanics, such as calculating the probabilities of different outcomes in experiments or predicting the behavior of particles in different systems. They are also used in developing quantum algorithms for quantum computers and in simulating quantum systems for various applications in chemistry, materials science, and other fields.