Propagator operator in Heinsenberg picture

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and role of the propagator in the Heisenberg picture, specifically in the context of the Klein-Gordon field. The speaker is confused about the time dependence of the propagator and its purpose in their context. The respondent clarifies that there are different types of propagators in QFT and explains the difference between the Wightman function and the time-ordered propagator. They also mention the importance of causality and the microcausality condition in determining the form of the propagator. They suggest referring to Weinberg's book for a more detailed explanation.
Silviu
Hello! I read that in Heisenberg picture the propagator from x to y is given by ##<0|\phi(x)\phi(y)|0>##, where ##\phi## is the Klein-Gordon field. I am not sure I understand why. I tried to prove it like this:
##|x>=\phi(x,0)|0>## and after applying the time evolution operator we have ##U(t)|x>=e^{-iHt}\phi(x,0)|0>##. And the propagator should show the overlapping between ##|x>## and ##|y>## at time t. This would be
##<y|U(t)|x>=<0|\phi(y,0)e^{-iHt}\phi(x,0)|0> = <0|e^{-iHt}\phi(y,0)\phi(x,0)|0>## which is not what I was supposed to obtain. I am also not sure about the time dependence of ##\phi## in the propagator. Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where have you read this? What you've written down is the Wightman function and one Green function in the Schwinger-Keldysh real-time-contour formalism. What's the purpose of this function in your context?

Usually in vacuum QFT you work with the time-ordered propagator (which in the vacuum is the same as the Feynman propagator), i.e.,
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_F(x)=\langle 0|T_c \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0) \rangle,$$
where I assume the uncharged KG field (where ##\hat{\phi}=\hat{\phi}^{\dagger}##).

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Where have you read this? What you've written down is the Wightman function and one Green function in the Schwinger-Keldysh real-time-contour formalism. What's the purpose of this function in your context?

Usually in vacuum QFT you work with the time-ordered propagator (which in the vacuum is the same as the Feynman propagator), i.e.,
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_F(x)=\langle 0|T_c \hat{\phi}(x) \phi{\phi}(0) \rangle,$$
where I assume the uncharged KG field (where ##\hat{\phi}=\hat{\phi}^{\dagger}##).
It is from Peskin book on QFT. On page 27 (at least this is what I understood, please let me know if that means something different)

Peskin and Schroeder are not always careful enough. However, here they give the resolution in the discussion on the following pages (see p. 29).

vanhees71 said:
Peskin and Schroeder are not always careful enough. However, here they give the resolution in the discussion on the following pages (see p. 29).
Wait I am confused. So what is wrong about this. Like what is this object ##<0|\phi(x) \phi(y)|0>##, if it is not a propagator? And how do they come up with it (as it seems to be the main tool for what follows)?

It is not enough to call something propagator but you have to specify which propagator it is. In the Feynman rules, leading to causal S-matrix elements it's not this propagator (a socalled Wightman function) that occurs but the time-ordered propagator. Usually you define the Wightman function by
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_{12}(x)=\langle 0|\hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0)| 0\rangle.$$
Then the time-ordered propagator (which for vacuum QFT is the Feynman propagator) is defined as
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_{11}(x)=\mathrm{i} \Delta_{\text{F}}(x)=\langle 0|T_c \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0)|0 \rangle=\mathrm{i}[\Theta(x^0) \Delta_1(x)+\Theta(-x^0) \Delta_1(-x)].$$
As is worked out in Peskin&Schroeder, this leads to a causal description of scattering events in terms of the S-matrix. The trick is that you introduce antiparticles (in the case of the hermitean Klein-Gordon field you describe neutral scalar bosons, for which the particle and antiparticle are the same) in addition to particles to make everything causal, where causal means that local experiments that are separated by far distances lead to uncorrelated results for transition probabilities, the socalled "Linked-Cluster Principle". This is closely connected with the microcausality condition, which is realized by the vanishing of field-operator commutators (or anti-commutators for fermion fields) for space-like separated arguments, i.e., for the scalar field
$$[\hat{\phi}(x),\hat{\phi}(y)]=0 \quad \text{for} \quad (x-y)^2<0,$$
where my Minkowski product is defined by the west-coast convention, i.e., ##\eta_{\mu \nu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## as in Peskin&Schroeder. That's why Peskin&Schroeder proves that the vacuum expectation value of this field commutator vanishes for space-like separated arguments.

For a much more careful (but also rather more advanced) line of arguments concerning all these issues, see

S. Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1, Cambridge University Press

What is a propagator operator in Heisenberg picture?

In quantum mechanics, a propagator operator in Heisenberg picture is a mathematical tool used to describe the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system. It is a matrix element that represents the transition amplitude from one state to another over a given period of time.

How is a propagator operator different from other operators in quantum mechanics?

A propagator operator is unique in that it operates in the Heisenberg picture, where operators are time-dependent while states remain constant. This is in contrast to the Schrödinger picture, where operators are constant and states are time-dependent.

What is the significance of the propagator operator in quantum mechanics?

The propagator operator plays a crucial role in calculating transition probabilities and understanding the behavior of a quantum system over time. It allows us to predict the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another, providing valuable insights into quantum phenomena.

How is the propagator operator related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The propagator operator is related to the Hamiltonian operator through the time evolution equation in the Heisenberg picture. The propagator operator is defined as the exponential of the Hamiltonian operator multiplied by the imaginary unit and the time interval.

Can the propagator operator be used to calculate observables in quantum mechanics?

No, the propagator operator cannot be used to directly calculate observables in quantum mechanics. However, it can be used to calculate the expectation value of an observable, which is the average value of a measurement that can be performed on a quantum system.