1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagation of error if one of the values is 0

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    I'm doing a lab write-up and I've run into a snag. I'm trying to do propagation of error in a product, but one of my quantities that I'm multiplying is 0. The propagation of error formula for z = xy is

[tex]
    \left ( \frac{\Delta z}{z} \right )^2 = \left( \frac{\Delta x}{x} \right )^2 + \left (\frac{\Delta y}{y} \right )^2
    [/tex]

But if either x or y = 0, what happens?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Is it 0 by definition or is that just a measurement with low accuracy?

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    it's the velocity of a cart that was measured by a motion sensor, so it's a measurement. the value is 0.00 +/- 0.005.

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

If you look into the partial derivative definition used to find that error propagation formula, you will see that x = 0 makes the infinite term disappear. See
    http://www.rit.edu/cos/uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html#muldiv [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 2, 2009 #5
    thank you. i haven't learned partial derivatives yet, so i'll have to take your word for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook