Propagator for traceless gauge field

In summary, Sidney Coleman discusses the gluon propagator in chapter ## \frac 1 N ## of his book "Aspects of Symmetry". It is given by equation 3.5, which contains a term proportional to ## \frac 1 N ## due to the tracelessness of the gluon field. However, this term is not present in the standard notation for the propagator, which is ## -i\delta_{ab} D_{\mu\nu}##. This difference in notation can be explained by considering the indices in the fundamental and adjoint representations of the gauge field matrix, and using the SU(N)-identity ## (T^{B})^{a}{}_{b} \ (T^{B})
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading the ## \frac 1 N ## chapter of Sidney Coleman's "Aspects of Symmetry". Equation 3.5, gives the gluon propagator as below:
## A^a_{\mu b}(x)A^c_{\nu d}(y)=\left( \delta^a_d \delta^c_b-\frac 1 N \delta^a_b \delta^c_d \right) D_{\mu \nu}(x-y)##.
Then he explains that the term proportional to ## \frac 1 N ## is there because gluon field is traceless. But his notation is not standard and in the standard notation (## A^a_{\mu b}\to A_\mu=A^a_\mu T^a ##), the gluon propagator is ## -i\delta_{ab} D_{\mu\nu}##.
I want to know how can I get from the propagator in one notation to another because the latter propagator has no term in it that seem to come from the gauge fields being traceless.
Is it really because of the notation? Or is it something deeper?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shayan.J said:
I'm reading the ## \frac 1 N ## chapter of Sidney Coleman's "Aspects of Symmetry". Equation 3.5, gives the gluon propagator as below:
## A^a_{\mu b}(x)A^c_{\nu d}(y)=\left( \delta^a_d \delta^c_b-\frac 1 N \delta^a_b \delta^c_d \right) D_{\mu \nu}(x-y)##.
Then he explains that the term proportional to ## \frac 1 N ## is there because gluon field is traceless. But his notation is not standard and in the standard notation (## A^a_{\mu b}\to A_\mu=A^a_\mu T^a ##), the gluon propagator is ## -i\delta_{ab} D_{\mu\nu}##.
I want to know how can I get from the propagator in one notation to another because the latter propagator has no term in it that seem to come from the gauge fields being traceless.
Is it really because of the notation? Or is it something deeper?
Thanks

Pay attention to the indices: The fundamental representation indices [itex]a , b = 1, 2 , \cdots , N[/itex], and the adjoint representation indices [itex]A , B = 1 , 2 , \cdots , N^{2}-1[/itex]. The gauge field (Hermitian, traceless) matrix, in any representation, is given by [itex]\mathbb{A}_{\mu}(x) = A^{B}_{\mu}(x) T^{B} [/itex] . The matrix elements of [itex]\mathbb{A}_{\mu}[/itex] in the fundamental representation are, therefore, given by [tex]\left(\mathbb{A}_{\mu}(x) \right)^{a}{}_{b} = A^{B}_{\mu}(x) (T^{B})^{a}{}_{b} .[/tex] So [tex]\langle \left(\mathbb{A}_{\mu}(x) \right)^{a}{}_{b} \ \left(\mathbb{A}_{\nu}(y) \right)^{c}{}_{d} \rangle = \langle A^{B}_{\mu}(x) \ A^{C}_{\nu}(y) \rangle \ (T^{B})^{a}{}_{b} (T^{C})^{c}{}_{d} .[/tex] Using [itex]\langle A^{B}_{\mu}(x) \ A^{C}_{\nu}(y) \rangle \sim \delta^{BC} \mathcal{D}_{\mu\nu}(x - y)[/itex] , you get [tex]\langle \left(\mathbb{A}_{\mu}(x) \right)^{a}{}_{b} \ \left(\mathbb{A}_{\nu}(y) \right)^{c}{}_{d} \rangle \sim (T^{B})^{a}{}_{b} \ (T^{B})^{c}{}_{d} \ \mathcal{D}_{\mu\nu}(x - y) .[/tex]
The result follows from the [itex]SU(N)[/itex]-identity [tex](T^{B})^{a}{}_{b} \ (T^{B})^{c}{}_{d} = \delta^{a}_{d}\delta^{c}_{b} - \frac{1}{N} \delta^{a}_{b}\delta^{c}_{d} ,[/tex] which I have derived some where on PF, with the normalization [itex]\mbox{Tr}(T^{A}T^{B}) = \delta^{AB}[/itex]. You can always find the thing you need in one of my posts on PF :wink:.

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ, vanhees71 and dextercioby

1. What is a propagator for traceless gauge field?

A propagator for traceless gauge field is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in space-time. It represents the influence of the gauge field on the particle's motion.

2. How is the propagator for traceless gauge field calculated?

The propagator for traceless gauge field is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical expressions that describe the interaction between particles. The propagator is expressed as the sum of all possible Feynman diagrams that contribute to the particle's propagation.

3. What is the significance of a traceless gauge field in the propagator?

A traceless gauge field is a field that has a zero trace, meaning that its diagonal elements are all zero. This is important in the propagator because it ensures that the gauge field does not contribute any unwanted terms to the calculation, making the result more accurate and physically meaningful.

4. How does the propagator for traceless gauge field relate to the concept of gauge invariance?

The propagator for traceless gauge field is closely related to the concept of gauge invariance, which states that the physical laws of a theory should not depend on the choice of gauge. The propagator is gauge invariant, meaning that it remains the same regardless of the gauge chosen, making it a useful tool for studying gauge theories.

5. What are some applications of the propagator for traceless gauge field?

The propagator for traceless gauge field has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theories such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics. It is also used in calculations for processes such as particle scattering and decay, and in the development of advanced technologies such as quantum computing.