Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagator in the derivation of path integrals

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    Why isn't (5.298) the following instead?

##K(x, t_1; x', t_0) = \delta(x-x')\,e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}##

My reasoning:

Since [itex]\Psi(x, t_1) = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\,\Psi(x, t_0)\\
    = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\,\int\delta(x-x')\Psi(x', t_0)\,dx'[/itex]

The exponential operator with ##H## is acting on the variable ##x##. So when it is pulled inside the integral, it should just be acting on ##\Psi(x', t_0)## so that after applying ##\delta(x-x')## and integrating, we get the same answer as the one when the exponential operator is acting on ##\Psi(x, t_0)##:

[itex]\Psi(x, t_1) =\int\delta(x-x')e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\Psi(x', t_0)\,dx'[/itex]

Edit: I believe there is a typo at (5.304). It should be ##(x_n - x_{n-1})## instead of ##(x_n + x_{n-1})##. Correct?

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.32.02 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.29.47 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.30.28 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.30.46 am.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be acting on any function which contains ##x## which is in this case the delta function. You can also obtain the propagator by starting to work in the braket notation. Starting from
    $$|\psi,t_1\rangle = \exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
    Insert ##\int dx' |x'\rangle \langle x'|## just in front of ##|\psi,t_0\rangle## and multiply from the left with ##\langle x|##. So that you get
    $$\langle x|\psi,t_1\rangle =\int dx' \langle x|\exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|x'\rangle \langle x'|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
    Then use the property ##\langle x|\hat{H}|\phi\rangle = H(x)\langle x|\phi\rangle## for an arbitrary state ##|\phi\rangle## to arrive at the same expression for the propagator.

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3
    If the exponential operator turns ##f(x)## into ##g(x)## and if we allow it to act on ##x'## and hence ##f(x')##, it would turn ##f(x')## into ##g(x')##. And after applying ##\delta(x-x')## and integrating, we get back ##g(x)##.

You seem to suggest that the exponential operator can only act on ##x## and the variable that it acts on cannot be changed. I thought so too, until I saw (5.304), where it is not acting on ##x##, but on ##x_n## or ##x_{n-1}##. Also, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## in (5.304). So I guess that when ##V(x)## is pulled into the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## and so the operator ##\hat{H}## acts on ##x_{n-1}## when it is inside the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##.

Do we deduce the propagator ##\ K=\int dx' \exp\big(iH(x)(t_1-t_0)\big)|\ x'\rangle \langle x'|\ ## from the fact that
    ##\langle x|\psi,t_1\rangle =\int dx' \exp\big(iH(x)(t_1-t_0)\big)\ \langle x|x'\rangle \langle x'|\psi,t_0\rangle\ ## is true for any ##\langle x|##?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. Jan 1, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would rather choose to work out everything from the braket notation to know which comes from which. So, the equation ##\exp(-iH\Delta t) \delta(x_n-x_{n-1})## can be derived from the braket notation
    $$
    \langle x_n| \exp(-i\hat{H}\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
    $$
    which is approximately equal to
    $$
    \langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) \exp(-iV(\hat{x})\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
    $$
    Note that up to this point everything is still in the operator form. Then again use the completeness relation, this time for ##|k\rangle## in between the two exponential operators above. Then
    $$
    \langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) \exp(-i\hat{V}\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle = \int dk \langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) |k\rangle \langle k|\exp(-iV(\hat{x})\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
    $$
    Now use ##\hat{p}^2 |k\rangle = k^2 |k\rangle## and ##V(\hat{x}) |x_{n-1} \rangle = V(x_{n-1}) |x_{n-1} \rangle## where ##k^2## and ##V(x_{n-1}) ## are just numbers (scalars) not operators anymore. The above equation will reduce to
    $$
    \int dk \exp(-i\frac{k^2}{2m}\Delta t) \langle x_n|k\rangle \langle k|x_{n-1} \rangle \exp(-iV(x_{n-1})\Delta t) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int dk \exp(-i\frac{k^2}{2m}\Delta t + ik(x_n-x_{n-1})) \exp(-iV(x_{n-1})\Delta t)
    $$
    Note: I think there is another mistake in that book for writing ##ik(x_n+x_{n-1}) ## instead of ##ik(x_n-x_{n-1}) ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook