1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proper acceleration of cyclotron particle.

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Hey! I've been working on a problem here for which I have found the four acceleration of a particle going in a circle with radius R to be

[tex]\underline{A} = -R\omega^2 \gamma^2 (0,\cos(\omega \gamma \tau), \sin(\omega \gamma \tau), 0)[/tex]

and in going from this to find the proper acceleration I reasoned as follows: The four acceleration is valid in all inertial frames and in the instantaneous rest frame of the particle it self it will have a spatial four acceleration which is the proper acceleration of the particle, i.e

[tex]\underline{A} = (0, \vec a_0)[/tex]
    in the instantaneous particle. In this frame [itex]\gamma[/itex]=1 so i reasoned that if i just sett [itex]\gamma[/itex]=1 in the above expression I get the proper acceleration. I thus obtain

[tex]\vec a_0 = -\omega ^2 R(\cos(\omega \tau), \sin(\omega \tau),0)[/tex]
    which means that
    [tex] a_0 = \omega^2 R.[/tex]
    but laboratory frame of the cyclotron
    [tex]v = \omega R \ \ \ \ a = \frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]
    so that
    [tex] a_0 = a[/tex]
    So this is clearly wrong.
    However another line of reasoning would be to say that in the instantaneous rest frame of the particle
    [tex]\underline{A} = (0, \vec a_0)[/tex]
    so the invariant norm is equal to

[tex]\vec a_0^2 = A_\mu A^\mu = (R\omega^2 \gamma^2)^2[/tex]
    such that
    [tex] a_0 = R\omega^2 \gamma^2 = \gamma^2 a[/tex]
    Which is correct. So my question is, what is wrong about the first line of reasoning?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2
    I think I spotted my error. The four acceleration is not valid in all inertial frames. One must transform it to another reference frame in order to use it there.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    Less than 5 minutes later you spotted your error? Ok.

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    Yes, i'm sorry. It is amazing how your subconsciousness works on the problem when you are trying to formulate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook