Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proper distance integral limits seem wrong

1. Dec 24, 2015 #1
    I've seen in some lecture notes that the proper distance dp(t) can be written as
    ##\int_{t_e}^{t_0} c dt/a = \int_0^z c dz /H(z)##

I can perform this integral ok using
    ##H =\dot a/a## and the fact that ##1 + z = 1/a(t_e)## but it requires associating the limits of the integration as te transforming to z and t0 to z= 0 - there is a minus sign which creeps in when you find dz/dt because da = - a2dz so the limits have to be switched. Thus they don't match as it appears when you read the integral.

I don't see how to interpret this because I feel it should be the other way round. That is t 0 should be associated with red shift z (that's what we measure today) and at time t = te the red shift should be 0 . Why am I wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2015 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

If the photon is emitted at t_0, then its observed redshift will be zero. If it's emitted at t_e, then its observed redshift will be z.

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Thank you Chalnoth that makes so much sense. I just couldn't get it right in my mind but this has settled the matter.

Kindest regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook