Proper likelihood function of the ratio of two spectra

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
QuantumDefect
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Hello PF'ers,

I am doing an unbinned likelihood analysis where I am analyzing the ratio of two spectra:
\[ \frac{S_{1}(E)}{S_{2}(E)} = F(E) \]

and each spectra,

\[ S_{1}, S_{2} \]

has its own data set. My first idea was to take the function, \[ F(E) \] and divide by the integral of the function to get a probability distribution but I am unsure how to input my data. If this was binned, it would be straight forward but in the unbinned case, it has stumped me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumDefect said:
Hello PF'ers,

I am doing an unbinned likelihood analysis

What is a likelihood analysis? (I've heard of maximum likelihood estimation and likelihood ratio tests.)

Things dealing with likelihood require a probability model. What is the probability model for you data?