Proper time elapsed between a photon being sent and received

In summary: I have used the fact that the photon's worldline is a null geodesic and therefore that the geodesic equation is just includes dt and dx (dy and dz are assumed to be constant as is seen on the question) and then tried to derive by integration the time of reflection, which I hope to then use to do the same to find the time when the photon comes back to A. However, I seem to not be getting towards the answer and so wondered if someone could tell me if my approach is right.Welcome to PF! I'm glad to help. The approach you are taking is valid, but there is one subtlety that you may not have considered. Suppose that the light travels in a
Bailey2013

Homework Statement

The problem I am trying to solve is the proper time elapsed along A's worldline between a photon being emitted and sent to B (which is a distance L away from it along the x axis) and being reflected and detected by A again. The question is the second part of the question which I have attached. The variables for the question are best understood by reading the question itself.

Homework Equations

The metric for this question is shown in the tagged files.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the fact that the photon's worldline is a null geodesic and therefore that the geodesic equation is just includes dt and dx (dy and dz are assumed to be constant as is seen on the question) and then tried to derive by integration the time of reflection, which I hope to then use to do the same to find the time when the photon comes back to A. However, I seem to not be getting towards the answer and so wondered if someone could tell me if my approach is right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 21.06.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 21.06.01.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 572
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 21.06.06.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 21.06.06.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 538
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-04-23 at 9.21.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-04-23 at 9.21.02 PM.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Bailey2013 said:
I have used the fact that the photon's worldline is a null geodesic and therefore that the geodesic equation is just includes dt and dx (dy and dz are assumed to be constant as is seen on the question)
I'm not sure what you mean by "dy and dz are assumed to remain constant". A photon cannot travel purely along the x-axis from A to B and still satisfy the condition of traveling on a null geodesic. The presence of the small quantity ##h(t, z)## in the line element requires the null geodesic from A to B to deviate from a straight line in the given coordinate system. So, you cannot assume that both ##dy## and ##dz## will be zero along the null geodesic. Without getting bogged down in details, you should be able to construct an argument for why ##dy^2## and ##dz^2## can nevertheless be neglected in the line element for this problem.

So, I believe your equation for the outward trip from A to B, which involves the integral from ##t = t_e## to ##t = t_r##, is OK. I would recommend writing a similar equation for the return trip. The two equations can then be combined into one equation involving a single integral over the time of the entire round trip. Then make approximations to first order in ##h##. I think it will work out and give you the desired expression.

Last edited:

1. What is proper time elapsed between a photon being sent and received?

The proper time elapsed between a photon being sent and received is the time interval measured by an observer who is stationary relative to the photon's path. It is also known as the "proper time interval" or "proper time dilation" and is a fundamental concept in special relativity.

2. How is proper time elapsed calculated?

Proper time elapsed is calculated using the equation t = t0/√(1-v2/c2), where t0 is the time interval measured by an observer in motion relative to the photon's path, v is the relative velocity between the observer and the photon, and c is the speed of light.

3. Does proper time elapsed depend on the observer's frame of reference?

Yes, proper time elapsed depends on the observer's frame of reference. According to special relativity, time is relative and can differ for different observers depending on their relative velocities. This means that the proper time elapsed between a photon being sent and received will be different for observers in different frames of reference.

4. How does proper time elapsed affect the concept of time dilation?

Proper time elapsed is closely related to the concept of time dilation, which states that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that the proper time elapsed for an observer in motion will be longer than the proper time elapsed for a stationary observer, leading to a difference in the measured time intervals between the two observers.

5. Can proper time elapsed be negative?

No, proper time elapsed cannot be negative. According to the equation t = t0/√(1-v2/c2), the square root of a negative number is not a real number. This means that proper time elapsed can never be negative, and any negative values obtained from the equation are considered invalid.