Properties of 4x4 symmetric matrix with eigvals E1, -E1, E2, -E2

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of 4x4 symmetric/hermitean matrices and their relationship to the matrix H = [e1 d1 g 0; d1 -e1 0 -g; g 0 e2 d2; 0 -g d2 -e2]. The speaker asks for ideas on decomposing an expression involving the matrix U and tanh (D), as well as looking for eigenvectors using Gauss elimination. They also mention the possibility of using symmetricity to help with the problem. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for notes or suggestions.
lukasch
Hi there,

I would appreciate if you could share your exeriences or ideas about
properties of 4x4 symmetric/hermitean matrices H such that
U^T H U = D = diag( E1, -E1, E2, -E2 ) or diag (E1, E2, -E1, -E2 )

The things I would like to perform are the following
- decompose an expression
U tanh( D ) U^T = f(E1, -E1, E2, -E2) * H
if it is possible. So I was wonderig whether some symmetricity of the H or D can be of help.
- look for eigvectors - gauss elimination afer substituting known E_i is terrible,
or I can assume some form of U, should be antisymmetric, orthogonal... but that is where I got stuck, as it depends on much parameters.
(for 2x2 it is just U=(u v \\ -v u) with uu+vv=1, the free parameter can be
u=(1+c)/2 v=(1-c)/2 ).

Actually the matrix is
H = [
e1 d1 g 0
d1 -e1 0 -g
g 0 e2 d2
0 -g d2 -e2
]
But it can be rearanged in form where it is antisymetric under
V^T H V with V = one (dir) sigma1,
with dir I mean kronecker/direct product.

I have an idea that similarly as for 2x2 case
U^T sigma1 * (a b \\ b c) * sigma1 U = sigma1 diag ( E, -E ) sigma1 = - diag(E, -E)

may it be used for 4x4 matrix as for example
diag (E1, E2, -E1, -E2 ) = diag (E1 E2) (dir) sigma3 = ... ?
I will think about it.

Thanks for any note :)
L.

Physics news on Phys.org
lukasch said:
Hi there,

I would appreciate if you could share your exeriences or ideas about
properties of 4x4 symmetric/hermitean matrices H such that
U^T H U = D = diag( E1, -E1, E2, -E2 ) or diag (E1, E2, -E1, -E2 )

The things I would like to perform are the following
- decompose an expression
U tanh( D ) U^T = f(E1, -E1, E2, -E2) * H
It is a linear or quadratic equation system, depending what you mean by a decomposition.
if it is possible. So I was wonderig whether some symmetricity of the H or D can be of help.
What is ##f##?
- look for eigvectors - gauss elimination afer substituting known E_i is terrible,
or I can assume some form of U, should be antisymmetric, orthogonal... but that is where I got stuck, as it depends on much parameters.
The problem is too vaguely explained: what is known, what unknown, what is ##f##, what's the goal, etc.?
(for 2x2 it is just U=(u v \\ -v u) with uu+vv=1, the free parameter can be
u=(1+c)/2 v=(1-c)/2 ).

Actually the matrix is
H = [
e1 d1 g 0
d1 -e1 0 -g
g 0 e2 d2
0 -g d2 -e2
]
But it can be rearanged in form where it is antisymetric under
V^T H V with V = one (dir) sigma1,
with dir I mean kronecker/direct product.

I have an idea that similarly as for 2x2 case
U^T sigma1 * (a b \\ b c) * sigma1 U = sigma1 diag ( E, -E ) sigma1 = - diag(E, -E)

may it be used for 4x4 matrix as for example
diag (E1, E2, -E1, -E2 ) = diag (E1 E2) (dir) sigma3 = ... ?
I will think about it.Thanks for any note :)
L.
Examples are a good way to start. However, you should first answer those questions above.

What is a 4x4 symmetric matrix?

A 4x4 symmetric matrix is a square matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns, where the elements above and below the main diagonal are mirror images of each other.

What are eigvals?

Eigvals, short for eigenvalues, are the values that satisfy the equation Ax=λx, where A is a matrix and λ is a scalar. In other words, they are the values that when multiplied by the corresponding eigenvectors, result in the original matrix.

What does it mean for eigvals to be E1, -E1, E2, -E2?

This means that the eigenvalues come in pairs, where one value is the positive version of the other (E1 and -E1, and E2 and -E2). This is due to the properties of a symmetric matrix, where the eigenvalues must be real and come in pairs.

How can we determine the values of E1 and E2 for a 4x4 symmetric matrix?

The values of E1 and E2 can be found by solving the characteristic equation for the matrix, which is det(A-λI)=0, where A is the matrix and I is the identity matrix. Once the values of E1 and E2 are found, their negative versions (-E1 and -E2) can also be determined.

What are some applications of this knowledge about 4x4 symmetric matrices with eigvals E1, -E1, E2, -E2?

Knowing the properties and values of a 4x4 symmetric matrix can be useful in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, symmetric matrices are used to represent systems with rotational symmetry, and the eigenvalues can provide information about the stability of the system. In engineering, symmetric matrices are used in structural analysis and the eigenvalues can indicate the natural frequencies of a structure. In computer science, symmetric matrices are used in machine learning algorithms for data analysis and the eigenvalues can help with dimensionality reduction.