Properties of a fictional super element/metal

  • Thread starter Thread starter cbrons
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
cbrons
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Trying to an invent a fictional element/metal.

I need something that could enable FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. And also biological immortality.

I'm thinking something similar to this: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero

I need some help coming up with techno-science-magical properties for this substance and how it enables those technological applications like FTL. Something like this for example (from that linked article):

Element Zero, also known as "eezo", is a rare material that, when subjected to an electrical current, releases dark energy which can be manipulated into a mass effect field, raising or lowering the mass of all objects within that field. A positive current increases mass, a negative current decreases it. This "mass effect" is used in countless ways, from generating artificial gravity to manufacturing high-strength construction materials. It is most prominently used to enable faster-than-light space travel without causing time dilation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cbrons said:
I need something that could enable FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. And also biological immortality.

I'm struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. For the first two you could posit some exotic matter that would allow for space to be warped, that's enough technobabble to give you an FTL warp drive and a potential means for defying gravity. The latter just doesn't make sense in any way I can think of. Aging is a hugely complex process in which multiple systems in the human body undergo gradual degradation leading to homeostasis becoming much harder (and eventually failing). That's never going to be changed by just one chemical. Why do you need it to incorporate the latter?
 
Ryan_m_b said:
I'm struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. For the first two you could posit some exotic matter that would allow for space to be warped, that's enough technobabble to give you an FTL warp drive and a potential means for defying gravity.

How do you mean "warped"?
 
So then the key would be to manipulate the geometry of space rather than the capabilities of the vehicle?
 
I'm not sure what you mean. If the vehicle could manipulate space in this manner then it would be a capability would it not?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: starfox
I meant that instead of creating a vehicle that could achieve ftl travel, science develops so that we can have something similar to the alcubierre drive. However that would mean inventing a vehicle that could do that, which as you said would be a vehicle capability. So then yeah the vehicle must still be capable of ftl travel.
 
I'm trying to make a Minovsky-physics type of material, so I'm just looking for ideas on what properties this material could have.
Maybe something based on string theory? I.e. material created in another dimension?