Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of a fictional super element/metal

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    Trying to an invent a fictional element/metal.

I need something that could enable FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. And also biological immortality.

I'm thinking something similar to this: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero

I need some help coming up with techno-science-magical properties for this substance and how it enables those technological applications like FTL. Something like this for example (from that linked article):

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I'm struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. For the first two you could posit some exotic matter that would allow for space to be warped, that's enough technobabble to give you an FTL warp drive and a potential means for defying gravity. The latter just doesn't make sense in any way I can think of. Aging is a hugely complex process in which multiple systems in the human body undergo gradual degradation leading to homeostasis becoming much harder (and eventually failing). That's never going to be changed by just one chemical. Why do you need it to incorporate the latter?

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    How do you mean "warped"?

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

Ryan_m_b

Space contracts in one direction and expands in the other, pushing/pulling you towards your destination. I'm not a physicist so take that simplification with a pinch of salt. This is the fairly mainstream speculation on the subject:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

6. Jun 22, 2015 #5
    So then the key would be to manipulate the geometry of space rather than the capabilities of the vehicle?

7. Jun 22, 2015 #6

Ryan_m_b

I'm not sure what you mean. If the vehicle could manipulate space in this manner then it would be a capability would it not?

8. Jun 22, 2015 #7
    I meant that instead of creating a vehicle that could achieve ftl travel, science develops so that we can have something similar to the alcubierre drive. However that would mean inventing a vehicle that could do that, which as you said would be a vehicle capability. So then yeah the vehicle must still be capable of ftl travel.

9. Jun 22, 2015 #8
    I'm trying to make a Minovsky-physics type of material, so I'm just looking for ideas on what properties this material could have.
    Maybe something based on string theory? I.e. material created in another dimension?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook