Properties of a fictional super element/metal

• Thread starter cbrons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the writer is trying to come up with a fictional element/metal that would have technological applications like FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. The writer is struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. They are thinking of something based on string theory.
cbrons
Trying to an invent a fictional element/metal.

I need something that could enable FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. And also biological immortality.

I'm thinking something similar to this: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero

I need some help coming up with techno-science-magical properties for this substance and how it enables those technological applications like FTL. Something like this for example (from that linked article):

Element Zero, also known as "eezo", is a rare material that, when subjected to an electrical current, releases dark energy which can be manipulated into a mass effect field, raising or lowering the mass of all objects within that field. A positive current increases mass, a negative current decreases it. This "mass effect" is used in countless ways, from generating artificial gravity to manufacturing high-strength construction materials. It is most prominently used to enable faster-than-light space travel without causing time dilation.

Physics news on Phys.org
cbrons said:
I need something that could enable FTL travel and anti-gravity cars. And also biological immortality.

I'm struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. For the first two you could posit some exotic matter that would allow for space to be warped, that's enough technobabble to give you an FTL warp drive and a potential means for defying gravity. The latter just doesn't make sense in any way I can think of. Aging is a hugely complex process in which multiple systems in the human body undergo gradual degradation leading to homeostasis becoming much harder (and eventually failing). That's never going to be changed by just one chemical. Why do you need it to incorporate the latter?

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm struggling to think of how the latter fits with the former two. For the first two you could posit some exotic matter that would allow for space to be warped, that's enough technobabble to give you an FTL warp drive and a potential means for defying gravity.

How do you mean "warped"?

Space contracts in one direction and expands in the other, pushing/pulling you towards your destination. I'm not a physicist so take that simplification with a pinch of salt. This is the fairly mainstream speculation on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

So then the key would be to manipulate the geometry of space rather than the capabilities of the vehicle?

I'm not sure what you mean. If the vehicle could manipulate space in this manner then it would be a capability would it not?

Likes starfox
I meant that instead of creating a vehicle that could achieve ftl travel, science develops so that we can have something similar to the alcubierre drive. However that would mean inventing a vehicle that could do that, which as you said would be a vehicle capability. So then yeah the vehicle must still be capable of ftl travel.

I'm trying to make a Minovsky-physics type of material, so I'm just looking for ideas on what properties this material could have.
Maybe something based on string theory? I.e. material created in another dimension?

1. What is a fictional super element/metal?

A fictional super element/metal is a hypothetical element or metal that possesses extraordinary properties and characteristics not found in naturally occurring elements. These properties may include super strength, heat resistance, or the ability to generate electricity.

2. How is a fictional super element/metal created?

The creation of a fictional super element/metal is purely speculative and varies depending on the fictional universe. Some common methods of creation include exposure to radiation, genetic modification, or advanced technological processes.

3. What are the potential uses of a fictional super element/metal?

The potential uses of a fictional super element/metal are endless and depend on its unique properties. It could be used in construction for stronger and more durable buildings, in medicine for advanced treatments, or in weaponry for more powerful and efficient weapons.

4. Are there any real-life examples of fictional super elements/metals?

No, fictional super elements/metals are purely imaginary and do not exist in the real world. However, some elements and metals in nature have properties that come close to those of fictional super elements/metals, such as carbon fiber for its strength and titanium for its heat resistance.

5. What are the implications of a fictional super element/metal on society?

The implications of a fictional super element/metal on society would depend on its properties and how it is utilized. It could lead to significant advancements in technology, medicine, and other industries, but it could also raise ethical and safety concerns if not properly regulated and controlled.