Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Integration

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    Hi,

Recently in class, my professor went over a relationship that exists between trigonometric functions, T(x), and their complementary functions. That is:

∫ T(x)dx = W(x) + C
    ∫ coT(x)dx = -co[W(x)] + C

Without really providing a proof, we were told this relationship. I've plugged in numbers and tried graphing the scenario and it works from what I've done so far. If anyone could provide me a formal proof through any source, that would be great since I need a bit more convincing.

Also, is a limitation to this property that both W(x) and T(x) must be a combination trigonometric functions themselves? Since when trying to solve ∫cscxdx using the answer from ∫secdx, an answer cannot be found. Are there any other limitations?

Also, regarding the identities:
    sinAcosB = 1/2 [sin(A-B) + sin(A+B)
    sinAsinB = 1/2 [cos(A-B) - cos(A+B)]
    cosAcosB = 1/2[cos(A-B) + cos(A+B)]

Is there a formal proof readily accessible for these identities?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Comes from the definitions of the trigonometric functions on the unit circle... which tells you how they are related to each other.

For the identities:
    Helps to noticing that for a point (x,y) in the complex plane, the vector from the origin to (x,y) makes an angle ##\theta## to the real axis:

##e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta = x+iy##

You can use that for the integral of trig things too, since ##\int e^x dx = e^x +c##

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, all it takes is a little manipulation of the basic identities for the sine and cosine of the sum and difference of two angles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook