Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Light and its Relationship to Strength

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    I am curious to know using scientific information what color lightsaber is the strongest? I have done some minor research and cannot figure it out on my own. I have come up with that violet produces the highest frequency while red produces the lowest frequency. Using Planck's Law E=hv I gather that violet would have the most energy. I have also come in conflict with intensity that seems to show around 500 nm is the highest (I will provide a link to where I found this information).

So what I would liked answered...
    a) What form of visible light would make the strongest lightsaber? Violet? Red? Yellow-Green? Other?
    b) What about white and black? (Yes I know black is the absence of color)
    c) Would another type of light be stronger for a lightsaber than visible light (i.e. gamma, radio)?

Please provide an explanation with your answers.

Link: http://fuse.pha.jhu.edu/~wpb/spectroscopy/basics.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You do realize that 'lightsabers' aren't real, right?

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    Yes this is a theoretical question. You could take out the aspect of lightsabers and still answer the question.

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think so - here are your questions:

All three of these are about lightsabers. If you have a question about light, can you state it clearly?

6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    Let me rephrase my above question so that I can be taken seriously.
    What visible color of light is the strongest? I am aware that strength is a vague characteristic when it comes to light so I most likely mean in terms of energy and intensity. In regards to energy as I previously stated, using Planck's Law E=hv I gather that violet would have the highest energy.
    Now I am unfamiliar with intensity or if it even applies to my question and if there is a relationship of intensity to energy but I came across this statement: To find the intensity, take the energy density (that is, the energy per unit volume) and multiply it by the velocity at which the energy is moving. I take it that there is a relationship to energy here since it is mentioned but don't knwo how it applies or if it can even be determined. Anyways I saw that at around 500 nm in the visible light spectrum that the intensity is the highest. I do not know how this can be with violet having the highest frequency. Please compare the relationship between energy and intensity. Does one outweight the other when it comes to strength?
    I am trying to be as clear as possible and this is a serious question. If there is something I am unclear about please let me know what that is so I can explain better. Part C can be taken out of the question.

7. Oct 21, 2011 #6
    Yes I'll rephrase:
    a) What form of visible light is the strongest?
    b) What about white and black? Where do they lie in terms of strength? (Yes I know black is the absence of color)

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7
    My question was answered elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

9. Oct 23, 2011 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Glad we could help! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook