1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Wave Functions and their Derivatives

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am unsure if the first statement below is true.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}[/tex] Assuming this was true, I showed that [tex] \int \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}dx=\int \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure whether it is true due to the fact that [tex] \psi [/tex] and [tex] \psi^* [/tex] may be complex.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2
    The first statement is true. Is your question not
    $$\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2\psi^*}{\partial x^2}?$$

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    That might be my question (although I didn't realize it). Here is what I did,

[tex]\int \psi^* \frac{\partial^3 \psi}{\partial x^3}dx=-\int \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}dx [/tex] I used the product rule for the integrand on the left hand side of the equation to show this statement. From here (using the assumption I originally asked about in the OP), I claimed that [tex]-\int \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}dx=-\int \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}dx [/tex] From here, I used integration by parts by letting [tex] u=\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} [/tex] and [tex] dv=\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}dx [/tex] to arrive at the second statement I made in the OP (In the relevant equations section).

5. Jul 22, 2016 #4
    You could also perform this step immediately by $$
    \int \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x})dx= \int \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}dx+\int \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}dx$$
    Because the L.H.S. is equal to zero at the infinities, we obtain $$
    \int \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}dx=-\int \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}dx$$

6. Aug 25, 2016 #5
    I apologize for not replying to this post. Thanks IanBerkman, you've been very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted