Property of the dirac delta function

In summary, Jonathan found a definition for the Dirac delta function that was not in a textbook he saw. He was trying to find out where this definition came from and was not able to find information about it online. He has a question about whether the delta function is even function. The delta function is a function that is 0 everywhere except at zero and: Δ(0) = infinity.
jk89
Hello team!

I saw the other day in a textbook that the Dirac delta function of the form d(x-a) can be written as d(a-x) but the method was not explained. I was wondering if anyone know where this comes from. I've been googling but can seem to find it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define the Dirac delta function?? Did you do it by distributions?

The formal definition preceding the statement was:
f(a) = ∫f(x)d(x-a)dx the integral goes from inf to -inf
I was thinking maybe you make a change of variable.

Hi. So you would like to prove delta function is even function, I.e. delta x =delta -x.

Yes, i guess this is the crux of the problem.

Hi.

jk89 said:
The formal definition preceding the statement was:
f(a) = ∫f(x)d(x-a)dx the integral goes from inf to -inf

∫f(x)Δ(a-x)dx, x[-∞,+ ∞]
=∫f(-t)Δ(a+t)dt, t[-∞,+ ∞]
=f(a)

Subtracting each other,
for any f(x) ∫f(x){Δ(x-a)-Δ(a-x)}dx=0
so Δ(x-a)=Δ(a-x).

Regards.

I'm also interested in this proof.

if i start out with

[itex]f(a)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(a-x) dx [1][/itex]

and make the change of variable [itex]x\rightarrow -t[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow dx\rightarrow -dt[/itex]

then

[itex]f(a)=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-t)\delta(a+t)dt [2][/itex]

i'm a bit confused how you then get one of them in the form δ(x-a)

You forgot another part of the definition; The dirac delta function is a function that is 0 everywhere except at zero and:
Δ(0) = infinity

With this in mind:
x-a = a-x when x = a

Last edited:
Avatrin said:
You forgot another part of the definition; The dirac delta function is a function that is 0 everywhere except at zero and:
Δ(0) = infinity

With this in mind:
x-a = a-x when x = a

More precisely, the dirac delta function has the property that

[tex]\int_b^c dx f(x)\delta(x-a) = \left\{\begin{array}{c} f(a),~a \in [b,c] \\ 0,~\mbox{otherwise} \end{array}\right.[/tex]

The delta function doesn't really have a well-defined meaning outside of an integral, so as far as we're concerned, if integrating f(x) against [itex]\delta(x-a)[/itex] or [itex]\delta(a-x)[/itex] gives you the same result, then [itex]\delta(x-a) = \delta(a-x)[/itex].

Hi.
knowlewj01 said:
[itex]f(a)=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-t)\delta(a+t)dt [2][/itex]
[itex]f(a)=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty}f(-t)\delta(a+t)dt [2][/itex]
isn't it? Regards.

What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely tall, infinitely narrow impulse or spike at a specific point on a graph. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point-like forces or point charges.

What is the role of the Dirac Delta Function in probability?

In probability, the Dirac Delta Function is used to represent a point probability mass at a specific point on the number line. This is useful for calculating the probability of a continuous random variable taking on a specific value. The integral of the Dirac Delta Function over a certain interval gives the probability of the random variable falling within that interval.

How is the Dirac Delta Function defined mathematically?

The Dirac Delta Function is defined mathematically as a limit of a sequence of functions. The most common definition is δ(x) = 0 for all x ≠ 0 and δ(0) = ∞, with the property that the integral of δ(x) over any interval containing 0 is equal to 1.

What are some key properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

Some key properties of the Dirac Delta Function include: it is an even function, it is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow, its area under the curve is equal to 1, it has a value of 0 everywhere except at the origin, and it satisfies the sifting property where it "picks out" the value of a function at the point of the Dirac Delta Function.

How is the Dirac Delta Function used in engineering and physics?

In engineering and physics, the Dirac Delta Function is used to model point forces, point charges, and point masses. It is also used in solving differential equations and in Fourier analysis to represent signals and impulses. Additionally, it is used in the field of quantum mechanics to describe the position of a particle in terms of its wave function.