Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proportionality and the ln function

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    Hi,

We know that if x=2, and y=4 for example, i.e that x is directly proportional to y.
    What i am wondering about is when to say that x is proportional to lny? As in the case of Entropy in Statistical Physics where S proportional to lnW?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2
    A variable [itex] x [/itex] is said to be "directly proportional" (or simply proportional) to another variable [itex] y [/itex], if one is a linear multiple of the other, i.e. there exists some real number [itex] \lambda [/itex], such that [itex] x = \lambda y [/itex].

It's termed "inversely proportional" if [itex] x = \lambda/y [/itex].

So, if [itex] x [/itex] is proportional to [itex] ln (W) [/itex], there has to exist some real number [itex] \lambda [/itex] such that [itex] x = \lambda ln(W) [/itex].

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. Mar 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply, but how to know whether it is proportional to y or lny? Is there some rule other than plotting a graph perhaps?

5. Mar 30, 2013 #4
    Just compute the ratio [itex] x/y [/itex] for different values of [itex] x [/itex] and their corresponding [itex] y [/itex] values. If this ratio remains a constant (the constant of proportionality [itex] \lambda [/itex] ), then [itex] x [/itex] is proportional to [itex] y [/itex].

Graphically, if [itex] x [/itex] is directly proportional to [itex] y [/itex], i.e, if [itex] x = \lambda y [/itex] then the graph of [itex] y [/itex] as a function of [itex] x [/itex] will be a straight line passing through the origin with the slope of the line equal to the constant of proportionality [itex] 1/\lambda [/itex].

6. Mar 30, 2013 #5
    Thanks again. But still I was concentrating on the lny and not the y. Anyway, I will depend on graphical illustrations.

7. Mar 30, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is straightforward to generalize Ryuzaki's reply to all other functions.
    For ##\ln(y)##:

Just compute the ratio [itex] x/\ln(y) [/itex] for different values of [itex] x [/itex] and their corresponding [itex] \ln(y) [/itex] values. If this ratio remains a constant (the constant of proportionality [itex] \lambda [/itex] ), then [itex] x [/itex] is proportional to [itex] \ln(y) [/itex].

Graphically, if [itex] x [/itex] is directly proportional to [itex] ln(y) [/itex], i.e, if [itex] x = \lambda \ln(y) [/itex] then the graph of [itex] \ln(y) [/itex] as a function of [itex] x [/itex] will be a straight line passing through the origin with the slope of the line equal to the constant of proportionality [itex] 1/\lambda [/itex].

8. Mar 30, 2013 #7
    Ah, you beat me to it. :smile:

9. Mar 30, 2013 #8
    Thanks guys. This is close to answering my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook