Propositional logic Discrete Mathematics

In summary, this conversation is about propositional logic and discrete mathematics. Propositional logic deals with propositions, which can either be true or false. Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and mathematical structures that are made of discrete units. The problem the person is trying to solve is assigning a number to the number of statements in a given conversation. They are also trying to figure out if two of the statements in a conversation can be simultaneously true. They suggest that it is impossible for this to happen.
fsbadr
[SOLVED] Propositional logic Discrete Mathematics

Homework Statement

Assuming atleast one of the following statements is true, which one is it? why?

a. Exactly one of these statements is true
b. Exactly two of these statements are true
c. Exactly three of these statements are true
d. Exactly four of these statements are true
e. Exactly five of these statements are true

Homework Equations

These are propositions, which can either be true or false, but not both. Total number of statements = 5 hence n = 5. Atleast one is true so n-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Inputting the above equation n-1=4, so exactly four of these statements is true. d points to this statement, which is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
fsbadr said:

Homework Statement

Assuming atleast one of the following statements is true, which one is it? why?

a. Exactly one of these statements is true
b. Exactly two of these statements are true
c. Exactly three of these statements are true
d. Exactly four of these statements are true
e. Exactly five of these statements are true

Homework Equations

These are propositions, which can either be true or false, but not both. Total number of statements = 5 hence n = 5. Atleast one is true so n-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Inputting the above equation n-1=4, so exactly four of these statements is true. d points to this statement, which is true.

Can someone please verify whether I am right or not? Thanks a lot

Why did you introduce n?

Anyway, I see absolutely no logic in your argument.

Is it possible for two of those statements to be true?

matt grime said:
Why did you introduce n?

Anyway, I see absolutely no logic in your argument.

Is it possible for two of those statements to be true?

It is possible for more than one of these statements to be true. I have come up with n because of the number of statements is 5 and assigned n to the number of statements. If you feel this is not right, you could point me in the right direction and I could get started on that.

What does assigning n to be the number of statements do? Look, just read the statements and please think again about what I said. Is it possible for two of those statements to be simultaneously true? (This is a BIG hint, so please don't ignore it again.)

matt grime said:
What does assigning n to be the number of statements do? Look, just read the statements and please think again about what I said. Is it possible for two of those statements to be simultaneously true? (This is a BIG hint, so please don't ignore it again.)

Thank you for the hint. I will surely look into it.

in general try to assume one of the solutions is correct and see if you reach a contradiction

I made up a truth table (I know this is a crude way) but also came up with 4 Truth values. Now, if all the statements are true then the fifth statement which is the conclusion is true also, else it is false. So, a,b,c and d are true?

You ignored matt again. Two of the statements can't be true at the same time. They would contradict each other.

For the love of God will you just think for a second! Every pair of statements are contradictory! Look, you've got me using exclamation marks, that's how annoyed I am: imagine I'm smacking my head against the desk. That's what you've driven me to.

You honestly don't see that two things like:

a) exactly X of these statements are true
b) exactly Y of these statements are true

are mutually incompatible if X doesn't equal Y?

Last edited:
Matt,

Thanks. This is my first class at discrete math. I just got this assignment yesterday and am also attempting to solve this myself. Call me slow, but I guess everything comes to everyone at a different pace. You can't blame me for trying and I while I may be trying wrong, atleast I try. Eventually I will come up with the right answer.

Thanks again for your help.

This has nothing to do with "discrete maths". Let me put it this way:

I have 5 marbles.

I tell you that exactly 4 of them are red. Then I tell you that exactly 3 of them are red. Can I have been telling you the truth both times? Of course not. I cannot tell you two contradictory statements about the same thing and have them both be true.

1. What is propositional logic in discrete mathematics?

Propositional logic, also known as sentential logic, is a branch of discrete mathematics that deals with logical statements and their relationships to one another. It is a formal system that uses symbols to represent propositions, and logical connectives to form compound propositions.

2. What are the basic logical connectives in propositional logic?

The basic logical connectives in propositional logic are "and" (represented by ∧), "or" (represented by ∨), and "not" (represented by ¬). These connectives are used to form compound propositions by connecting simple propositions together.

3. How is propositional logic used in computer science?

Propositional logic is used in computer science to represent logical statements and conditions in computer programs and algorithms. It is also used in the design and analysis of digital circuits and in the development of artificial intelligence systems.

4. What is the difference between propositional logic and predicate logic?

The main difference between propositional logic and predicate logic is that propositional logic deals with simple propositions, while predicate logic deals with more complex propositions that contain variables and quantifiers. Predicate logic is also more expressive and can be used to reason about relationships between objects and properties.

5. What are some applications of propositional logic in everyday life?

Propositional logic has many applications in everyday life, such as in decision making, problem solving, and argumentation. It can also be used in legal reasoning, marketing strategies, and game theory. In addition, propositional logic can help improve critical thinking skills and the ability to construct sound arguments.