1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics logic questions

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Why is the statement: " Vicky is not clever" Not a mathematical proposition? Provide examples please
    2. Why is the statement: "a^2+b^2=c^2 an indeterminate proposition?"
    3. Why is the negation of " If a triangle has two equal angles it is isosceles" = "Not all triangles with two equal angles are isosceles" and not "if a triangle has two equal angles it is not an isosceles"?

2. Relevant equations
    No equations, only logic for discrete mathematics class.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first and second, I said that they are both propositions, however I stated, that the second one is true rather than indeterminate. For the last one, I stated: "if a triangle has two equal angles it is not an isosceles"

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Please edit your post to provide your reasons, so we can see that you made a proper attempt to answer these (rather than just guessing).

Until you show your reasoning, no one here will be able to give you any assistance.

4. Nov 26, 2016 #3
    I said that the first and second are both propositions because being clever means that she understands things very quickly, which could be true or false, therefore a proposition. I said that a^2+b^2=c^2 is a true proposition because it is obviously shown in pythagoras theorem, therefore it is a true proposition. For the third one I wrote: " If a triangle has two equal angles it is not an isosceles" because is is the verb and I have negated the statement so I think that this is the correct place. So what is wrong with my logic???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted