Pros and cons of photonic and optical engineering

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
kevin_tee
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
I 'm thinking to study about photonic and optical science, I always like the property of light and I want to study at the university Arizona. I want to know what is the good and bad side of this career because I am deciding, am I choosing a right career? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give you is that only you can tell how much you really like the topics after a couple of years into your degree. I did a degree specializes in photonics. I am very happy with what I have learned and am doing my MSc related to some laser products. In terms of the world market, finding a job in this field doesn't look too difficult, just need to get that first bit of experience to get things going.

One thing I would like to suggest though. You may know what your interest lies now but don't tunnel vision on it when selecting your courses. It may be a grass greener on the other side thing but in my second and third year I kept wondering if I will enjoy studying a bit more doing a more general physics or math degree that doesn't lock in my post grad options.

hope this helps...