1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pros and cons of photonic and optical engineering

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    I 'm thinking to study about photonic and optical science, I always like the property of light and I want to study at the university Arizona. I want to know what is the good and bad side of this career because I am deciding, am I choosing a right career? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

The best advice I can give you is that only you can tell how much you really like the topics after a couple of years into your degree. I did a degree specializes in photonics. I am very happy with what I have learned and am doing my MSc related to some laser products. In terms of the world market, finding a job in this field doesn't look too difficult, just need to get that first bit of experience to get things going.

One thing I would like to suggest though. You may know what your interest lies now but don't tunnel vision on it when selecting your courses. It may be a grass greener on the other side thing but in my second and third year I kept wondering if I will enjoy studying a bit more doing a more general physics or math degree that doesn't lock in my post grad options.

hope this helps...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook