Prospects for Mech/Aero Engineering

• Programs
  • Thread starter Jessewhallon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is seeking feedback on the academic strengths and mindset needed to succeed in the engineering field. They are particularly interested in flight test and evaluation work, but have concerns about their practical learning style and struggles with math. They are seeking advice on how to succeed in math and considering pursuing engineering technology instead of a traditional engineering degree.
Jessewhallon
Hello! I'm here today to gather feedback from people in the engineering world and the like asking your opinion on the academic strengths and general mindset needed to not only complete an engineering curriculum but to be successful in the field once graduated.

I have been interested in the field of flight test and evaluation for years now. Places like Mojave, CA where they do this sort of work fascinate and excite me. From reading it seems the best way to open the door to this kind of work first begins with a engineering degree and this starts my dilemma. I consider myself to be a very practical learner meaning if I don't see the relationship between what I'm learning and the end goal I get very bored. I was a horrible student in high school for this exact reason, though I'm in my late 20s now and know I could just focus and grind through the education, I still retain this mindset and am concerned I would not be successful in engineering because of it.

There is a second and perhaps greater challenge I have, and I say this not with any bit of pride or even seeking understanding. I'm not good at math. I have taken Algebra 2 three times now, just recently this past fall semester through an on line course. I will say the course was terrible as I had no interaction with a single person the entire time except the midterm and final but I digress. The reason I say I'm not good at math is because I struggle to see the relationship from one area of math to the next, the entire time I'm learning Algebra I'm constantly trying to find a point of grounding in something practical or even just useful. I have always looked at math as a tool you can use to solve problems."What's this used for" is what I'm asking myself all day. I had to hire a private tutor which I saw every weekend to help me, in the end I earned a C in the course and my midterm and final grade was a 69% & 73% respectively.

In summary I'm worried that the abstract nature of engineering combined with my practical learning style and weak mathematical reasoning makes engineering a bad choice. Maybe I should do engineering technology instead. Thank you greatly for your feedback and I look forward to reading your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the job outlook for Mech/Aero engineers?

The job outlook for Mech/Aero engineers is positive and growing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this field is expected to grow 3% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing demand for engineers in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and defense.

2. What skills are needed to succeed in Mech/Aero engineering?

Some important skills for Mech/Aero engineers include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and strong math and science skills. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals in the field.

3. What types of industries hire Mech/Aero engineers?

Mech/Aero engineers are in demand in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, and manufacturing. They may also work in research and development, government agencies, or consulting firms.

4. What is the average salary for Mech/Aero engineers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Mech/Aero engineers was $93,800 in May 2020. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as level of experience, industry, and location.

5. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in Mech/Aero engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is typically the minimum requirement for entry-level positions in Mech/Aero engineering, a graduate degree can lead to higher-level positions and increased earning potential. It may also be necessary for certain specialized roles or research positions in the field.