1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove 7th root of 7 is irrational

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    1st I assume it is rational so:

7^(1/7) = m/n

then

7 = (m^7)/(n^7)

implies m^7 is a multiple of 7.

Means m^7 = 0 mod 7

So, using fermats little theorem..

m^7 = m mod 7

for m to be in the class of 0 it has to be a multiple of 7.

Now set m = 7k, so

7n^7 = 49k^7

But now I'm stuck, how do I show from here that m/n has a common factor?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    Oh i see,

so carrying on..

7n^7 = 49k^7

implies that n^7 is a multiple of 7, and i can apply the same proof to show n is a multiple of 7 aswell using fermats little theorem.

So m, n have a common factor of 7. Which show's that m/n wasn't in its simplified form, which proves it by contradiction.

Correct? :)

4. May 21, 2008 #3

exk

yes. You don't really need to invoke fermats little theorem. [itex]7=\frac{n^{7}}{m^{7}}[/itex] so [itex]7m^{7}=n^{7}[/itex] which means that m is a divisor of n (division algorithm), which contradicts your assumption.

5. May 21, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7 is prime. If m^7 is divisible by 7 then m is divisible by 7. You don't need a fermat theorem and I don't think you need a division algorithm either.

6. May 22, 2008 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And 7^7 isn't 49.

7. May 22, 2008 #6

exk

m being divisible by 7 doesn't contradict his assumption since both m and n need to be divisible by 7.

8. May 22, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If m is divisible by 7 that means m^7 has at least 7 factors of 7. That leads pretty directly to the conclusion n is divisible by 7.

9. May 22, 2008 #8

exk

I am sorry, I don't follow your thought there. He wanted to prove that 7 is irrational so he made it rational and said it can be expressed as [itex]7=\frac{m}{n}[/itex] and that the quotient is in lowest terms, i.e. m & n are coprime.

You say that because 7 is prime then m has to be divisible by 7. However, m being divisible by 7 doesn't make m coprime to n as far as I can see, but we need it to be coprime in order to get the contradiction. Could you please elaborate how that works out?

10. May 22, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7=m^7/n^7. Assume m and n are coprime. m^7=7*n^7 -> 7 divides m^7 -> 7 divides m -> m=7*k. So 7*n^7=(7^7)*k^7 -> n^7=(7^6)*k^7. Therefore 7 divides n^7. Therefore 7 divides n. Beep. (That's the 'contradiction' beep).

11. May 22, 2008 #10
    I used fermats theorem to prove that m was a multiple of 7 :)

I didn't know any other way to prove it, and I didn't just wnat to asume it without backing it up.

12. May 22, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just think of prime factorization, if a prime divides a product of numbers, then it must divide one of the numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?