Prove 7th root of 7 is irrational

In summary: Unless there is a factor of the prime that divides both of the numbers. So in this case, since 7 is prime, it must divide m and n. Just think of prime factorization, if a prime divides a product of numbers, then it must divide one of the numbers. Unless there is a factor of the prime that divides both of the numbers. So in this case, since 7 is prime, it must divide m and n.
Firepanda
1st I assume it is rational so:

7^(1/7) = m/n

then

7 = (m^7)/(n^7)

implies m^7 is a multiple of 7.

Means m^7 = 0 mod 7

So, using fermats little theorem..

m^7 = m mod 7

for m to be in the class of 0 it has to be a multiple of 7.

Now set m = 7k, so

7n^7 = 49k^7

But now I'm stuck, how do I show from here that m/n has a common factor?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh i see,

so carrying on..

7n^7 = 49k^7

implies that n^7 is a multiple of 7, and i can apply the same proof to show n is a multiple of 7 as well using fermats little theorem.

So m, n have a common factor of 7. Which show's that m/n wasn't in its simplified form, which proves it by contradiction.

Correct? :)

yes. You don't really need to invoke fermats little theorem. [itex]7=\frac{n^{7}}{m^{7}}[/itex] so [itex]7m^{7}=n^{7}[/itex] which means that m is a divisor of n (division algorithm), which contradicts your assumption.

7 is prime. If m^7 is divisible by 7 then m is divisible by 7. You don't need a fermat theorem and I don't think you need a division algorithm either.

And 7^7 isn't 49.

Dick said:
7 is prime. If m^7 is divisible by 7 then m is divisible by 7. You don't need a fermat theorem and I don't think you need a division algorithm either.

m being divisible by 7 doesn't contradict his assumption since both m and n need to be divisible by 7.

exk said:
m being divisible by 7 doesn't contradict his assumption since both m and n need to be divisible by 7.

If m is divisible by 7 that means m^7 has at least 7 factors of 7. That leads pretty directly to the conclusion n is divisible by 7.

Dick said:
If m is divisible by 7 that means m^7 has at least 7 factors of 7. That leads pretty directly to the conclusion n is divisible by 7.

I am sorry, I don't follow your thought there. He wanted to prove that 7 is irrational so he made it rational and said it can be expressed as [itex]7=\frac{m}{n}[/itex] and that the quotient is in lowest terms, i.e. m & n are coprime.

You say that because 7 is prime then m has to be divisible by 7. However, m being divisible by 7 doesn't make m coprime to n as far as I can see, but we need it to be coprime in order to get the contradiction. Could you please elaborate how that works out?

exk said:
I am sorry, I don't follow your thought there. He wanted to prove that 7 is irrational so he made it rational and said it can be expressed as [itex]7=\frac{m}{n}[/itex] and that the quotient is in lowest terms, i.e. m & n are coprime.

You say that because 7 is prime then m has to be divisible by 7. However, m being divisible by 7 doesn't make m coprime to n as far as I can see, but we need it to be coprime in order to get the contradiction. Could you please elaborate how that works out?

7=m^7/n^7. Assume m and n are coprime. m^7=7*n^7 -> 7 divides m^7 -> 7 divides m -> m=7*k. So 7*n^7=(7^7)*k^7 -> n^7=(7^6)*k^7. Therefore 7 divides n^7. Therefore 7 divides n. Beep. (That's the 'contradiction' beep).

I used fermats theorem to prove that m was a multiple of 7 :)

I didn't know any other way to prove it, and I didn't just wnat to asume it without backing it up.

Firepanda said:
I used fermats theorem to prove that m was a multiple of 7 :)

I didn't know any other way to prove it, and I didn't just wnat to asume it without backing it up.

Just think of prime factorization, if a prime divides a product of numbers, then it must divide one of the numbers.

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction with a finite number of digits after the decimal point.

2. How can I prove that the 7th root of 7 is irrational?

To prove that the 7th root of 7 is irrational, we can use the proof by contradiction method. Assume that the 7th root of 7 is rational, which means it can be expressed as a fraction p/q where p and q are integers. Then, we can raise both sides of the equation to the power of 7 and we get 7 = p^7/q^7. This means that 7 is a multiple of q^7, which is impossible since 7 is a prime number. Therefore, our assumption is false and the 7th root of 7 must be irrational.

3. Why specifically the 7th root of 7?

The 7th root of 7 is chosen because it is a relatively simple example of an irrational number. It is also commonly used in mathematical proofs and serves as a good illustration of the concept of irrationality.

4. Can we prove that any root of 7 is irrational?

No, we cannot prove that any root of 7 is irrational. The 7th root of 7 is a specific case that can be proven to be irrational, but other roots of 7 such as the square root or cube root may or may not be irrational depending on the specific number.

5. How can knowing that the 7th root of 7 is irrational be useful?

Knowing that the 7th root of 7 is irrational can be useful in various mathematical proofs and calculations. It also helps us understand the concept of irrational numbers and their properties, which can be applied to other numbers and mathematical concepts. Additionally, it can be used in real-life applications such as cryptography and encryption methods.