Determining the irrationality of a quotient

  • Thread starter Thread starter trap101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    quotient
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
trap101
Messages
339
Reaction score
0
Determine whether (7)1/2/(15)1/3 is either rational or irrational and prove your answer is correct.

So I know that (7)1/2 is irrational from previous theorems since it is a prime, I also split up (15)1/3 into (5)1/3 times (3)1/3. I previously had shown that (5)1/3 is also irrational. Doing this question I showed that (3)1/3 is irrational by the uniqueness of prime factorization.

But my problem lies in showing that this whole quotient is irrational. I don't know where to start. Maybe assume that the quotient is rational and obtain a contradiction? If so how could I start it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Determine whether (7)1/2/(15)1/3 is either rational or irrational and prove your answer is correct.

So I know that (7)1/2 is irrational from previous theorems since it is a prime, I also split up (15)1/3 into (5)1/3 times (3)1/3. I previously had shown that (5)1/3 is also irrational. Doing this question I showed that (3)1/3 is irrational by the uniqueness of prime factorization.

But my problem lies in showing that this whole quotient is irrational. I don't know where to start. Maybe assume that the quotient is rational and obtain a contradiction? If so how could I start it?

Yes, assume it's equal to a rational and assume its in lowest terms. Then take the sixth power of both sides. Then make the usual sort of arguments about prime divisibility.