Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: But maybe it's not.In summary, the problem is asking to prove that if two real numbers have the same absolute value, then they must be equal or negative of each other. There is no need to break into cases, as a direct solution is best. One way to start is by using the definition that |x| = √(x^2).
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Let a, b ∈ ℝ. Prove that:

If |a| = |b|, then a = b or a = -b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having difficulties with beginning this proof.

Would it make sense to have: Case 1: b≥0 and Case 2: b≤0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to break this into cases. A direct solution is best here.

Here's a hint to help you get started: |x| = |-x| = √(x2)

ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Let a, b ∈ ℝ. Prove that:

If |a| = |b|, then a = b or a = -b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having difficulties with beginning this proof.

Would it make sense to have: Case 1: b≥0 and Case 2: b≤0?

Indeed, it is a very good idea to split in cases (better 4 instead of 2 though), depending on the sign of ##a## and ##b##.

(1) ##a \geq 0, b \geq 0##
(2) ...
(3) ...
(4) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
jack476 said:
You don't need to break this into cases. A direct solution is best here.

Here's a hint to help you get started: |x| = |-x| = √(x2)

"No need to break this into cases". Maybe, if you have already proven that ##|x| = |-x|## and ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##. Proving this will ultimately rely on breaking up in cases... I think introducing unnecessary square roots obscures things, but that's just my opinion.

Math_QED said:
"No need to break this into cases". Maybe, if you have already proven that ##|x| = |-x|## and ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##. Proving this will ultimately rely on breaking up in cases... I think introducing unnecessary square roots obscures things, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, if you're not already given that ##|x| = |-x|##. Actually, I kind of thought that that was true by definition.

Related to Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b

1. What does the statement "Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b" mean?

The statement means that if the absolute value of a is equal to the absolute value of b, then a must be equal to b or equal to the negative of b.

2. How can I prove the statement "Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b"?

You can prove this statement by using the definition of absolute value and the properties of equality. First, assume that |a|=|b|. Then, consider two cases: a=b and a=-b. In both cases, you can use the properties of equality to show that the statement is true.

3. Is the statement "Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b" always true?

Yes, the statement is always true. This is because the absolute value of a number is always positive, so the only way for two absolute values to be equal is if the numbers themselves are equal or one is the negative of the other.

4. Can you give an example to illustrate the statement "Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b"?

Sure, let's take a=3 and b=-3. The absolute value of both numbers is 3, so |a|=|b|. Using the definition of absolute value, we can see that a=-b, which satisfies the statement.

5. How is the statement "Prove |a|=|b| $\Rightarrow$ a=b or a=-b" useful in mathematics?

This statement is useful in various mathematical proofs and problem-solving. It helps to simplify equations and inequalities involving absolute values, making them easier to solve. It also provides a way to show that two numbers are equal or opposite of each other, which can be useful in many mathematical concepts and applications.