Find the solutions of the system, for all λ

In summary: If ##\lambda \neq 0## and ##\lambda \neq 1##, you have three planes that all intersect at a single point, thus one unique solution.
Michael_0039
Thread moved from technical math section, so there is no homework template.
(∀λ∃ℝ)

-x + y - z = 1
-2x + 10y + (2λ + 6) = 6
3x + 11y + (λ2+6)z = 5λ - 1

after gaussian elimination I have this:

-1 4 -2 | 1
0 1 λ | 2
0 0 λ(λ-1) | 5λ

So, for λ=0 ⇒ ∞ solutions, for λ=1 system is impossible and for λ≠0 and λ≠1 only one solution.

Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_0039 said:
∈(∀λ∃ℝ)
∃ means "there exists". The symbol you want is ∈.
Michael_0039 said:
-x + y - z = 1
-2x + 10y + (2λ + 6) = 6
In the 2nd equation is there supposed to be a z on the left side?
Michael_0039 said:

-1 4 -2 | 1
0 1 λ | 2
0 0 λ(λ-1) | 5λ

So, for λ=0 ⇒ ∞ solutions, for λ=1 system is impossible and for λ≠0 and λ≠1 only one solution.

Am I right?
I'm not getting the final augmented matrix you show, but then I'm not sure what the starting system is.

Mark44 said:
∃ means "there exists". The symbol you want is ∈.
In the 2nd equation is there supposed to be a z on the left side?
I'm not getting the final augmented matrix you show, but then I'm not sure what the starting system is.
Yes, my mistake I mean "∈" and also for the 2nd equation I forgot the z, you are right.
The final augnebted matrix it came after calculations between rows, as shown bellow:

1) R2 → R2 - 2R1
2) R3 → R3 + 3R1
3) R3 → R3 - R2

Michael_0039 said:
1) R2 → R2 - 2R1
2) R3 → R3 + 3R1
3) R3 → R3 - R2
After the first two row operations above, I get this augmented matrix:
##\begin{bmatrix}-1 & 1 & -1 & | & 1 \\ 0 & 8 & 2\lambda + 8 & | & 4 \\
0 & 14 & \lambda^2 + 3 & | & 5\lambda - 4 \end{bmatrix}##
I don't see how your third row operation is useful, as it doesn't eliminate the leading entry of row 3.
Also, none of your three row operations modified row 1, so I don't see how you ended up with an augmented matrix whose first row was [-1 4 -2 | 1].

Mark44 said:
After the first two row operations above, I get this augmented matrix:
##\begin{bmatrix}-1 & 1 & -1 & | & 1 \\ 0 & 8 & 2\lambda + 8 & | & 4 \\
0 & 14 & \lambda^2 + 3 & | & 5\lambda - 4 \end{bmatrix}##
I don't see how your third row operation is useful, as it doesn't eliminate the leading entry of row 3.
Also, none of your three row operations modified row 1, so I don't see how you ended up with an augmented matrix whose first row was [-1 4 -2 | 1].
I am very sorry, I was careless on this post. Correction: -x + 4y - 2z = 1
-2x + 10y + (2λ - 4)z = 6
3x - 11y + (λ2+6)z = 5λ - 1

Michael_0039 said:
I am very sorry, I was careless on this post. Correction:

-x + 4y - 2z = 1
Is the system above the correct one? The original system of post #1, copied below, was quite different.

Michael_0039 said:
-x + y - z = 1
-2x + 10y + (2λ + 6) = 6

Likes Michael_0039
Mark44 said:
Is the system above the correct one? The original system of post #1, copied below, was quite different.
Yes, my apologies.

Post #5:
Michael_0039 said:
-x + 4y - 2z = 1
Post #1:
Michael_0039 said:

-1 4 -2 | 1
0 1 λ | 2
0 0 λ(λ-1) | 5λ

With the corrected system shown in post #5, I agree with the solution you posted in the OP.

Geometrically, if ##\lambda = 0## you have two planes that intersect in a line, thus there are an infinite number of solutions. If ##\lambda = 1##, you have an inconsistent system, thus no solutions. In that case, the third equation becomes ##0z = 5##, which can't happen.

Likes chwala and Michael_0039

1. What is the purpose of finding the solutions of a system for all λ?

The solutions of a system for all λ are used to determine the values of λ that make the system consistent or inconsistent. This helps in understanding the behavior of the system and finding the most suitable solution.

2. How is the value of λ determined for a system?

The value of λ is determined by solving the system of equations using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. The resulting values of the variables are then substituted into the original equations to find the value of λ that satisfies all the equations.

3. Can there be multiple solutions for a system of equations with different values of λ?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple solutions for a system of equations with different values of λ. This is because the value of λ affects the coefficients and constants in the equations, which can result in different solutions.

4. How does λ affect the solutions of a system of equations?

λ acts as a parameter that modifies the equations in a system and can change the number and type of solutions. For example, if λ = 0, the system may have a unique solution, but if λ = 1, the system may have infinitely many solutions.

5. Are there any specific methods for finding the solutions of a system for all λ?

There are various methods for finding the solutions of a system for all λ, such as using eigenvalues and eigenvectors, Gaussian elimination, or Cramer's rule. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.