1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a satisfaction with the wave equation

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i want to prove that the functions u(r,t)=(1/r)f(r-v*t) and u(r,t)=(1/r)f(r+v*t) satisfy the wave equation in spherical coordinates, i have tried a lot to solve it but in each time i would face a problem.

2. Relevant equations
    wave equation : grad^2(u)=(1/v)*(partial ^2 u/partial t ^2)

3. The attempt at a solution i have tried to solve it in different ways but it does not work with me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2
    it is v^2 not v

4. Jan 8, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did you get after evaluating ##\nabla^2u##?
    Since ##u## is not a function of ##\theta## and ##\phi##, the Laplacian operator will look like
    $$
    \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r^2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \right)
    $$

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. Jan 8, 2016 #4
    i am rely sorry ,i am a new member here and i don't know how to write the symbols correctly ...((i found grad ^2 by saying that it equals the second partial derivative for u with respect to r)) .and i found the second partial derivative for u with respect to time. finally i could not match between them , usually when i evaluate the last i would find the first in it and so we can substitute here and reach to our goal,but it didn't work this time ,the question wants a general solution .a have solved such a question when u=sin(x-v*t) it was easy .
    thank you so much ^-^

6. Jan 8, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your wave equation is correct, taking into account the correction you gave in post #2. If you can't match the left and right hand side then you must be doing something wrong. Since you said that you have calculated ##\partial^2 u/\partial t^2##, can you show what you got here?

7. Jan 8, 2016 #6
    it goes like :
    ∂u/∂t=(1/r)(∂f/∂t)+(0)*f
    =(1/r)(∂f/∂t)(-v)
    ∂²u/∂t²=(v²/r)*(∂²f/∂t²)

8. Jan 8, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't seem to be quite correct, especially the way you arrived at the second line. From the first line you have ##\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}##. To do the partial derivative w.r.t ##t##, you would have to use the chain rule, upon which it will be
    $$
    \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f}{\partial (r-vt)} \frac{\partial (r-vt)}{\partial t} = \frac{-v}{r}f'(r-vt)
    $$
    where ##f'(r-vt) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial (r-vt)}##. Calculating ##\partial^2 u/\partial t^2##, what did you get?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  9. Jan 8, 2016 #8
    i went through the first solution that you gave me,Since u is not a function of θ and ϕ as you have said ,and it is going real good ,i guess this is the best way ,i got two equation and i just have to substitute one in the other..thank you so much bro.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted