1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a set is not a vector space

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]b[/itex] be a symetric bilinear form on [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]A = \{ v\in V : b\left(v,v\right)=0\}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]A[/itex] is not a vector space, unless [itex]A = 0[/itex] or [itex]A = V[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

If we suppose that [itex]A[/itex] is a vector space then for every [itex]v,w\in A[/itex] we must have: [itex]b\left(v+w,v+w\right) = b\left(v,w\right)[/itex]. This try didn't go anywhere. I think I should construct a counter example, but I wouldn't know from where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume that ##V = \mathbb R^2## and that
    $$
    b(v,w) =
    v^T
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    w.
    $$
    For ##v = \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y\end{pmatrix}##, we now have
    $$
    b(v,v) = x^2
    $$
    so ##A## is the set of vectors with ##x = 0##, i.e., vectors of the form
    $$
    v = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ y \end{pmatrix},
    $$
    which is basically the vector space ##\mathbb R##. Thus ##A \neq 0## and ##A \neq V## while still being a vector space.

Are you sure the problem formulation is correct?

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3
    I think so. It's problem 12, page 53 from O' Niell's book "Semi-Riemannian Geometry with Applications to General Relativity".

5. Aug 8, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not have that book but "Semi-Riemannian" suggests that eventually there will be a (pseudo-Riemannian) metric involved. There were no additional constraints on the bilinear form apart from just being symmetric? For example, the light-cone extending from the origin of Minkowski space is obviously not a vector space as addition of vectors on the light-cone can end up being time-like or space-like.

6. Aug 8, 2014 #5
    No. V is an finitely dimensional real vector space over the real numbers and b is just a bilinear form. It doesn't mention semi-Riemannian or even Minkowski spaces.

Maybe the author made a mistake...

7. Aug 9, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I ran across a thread on stackexchange which suggests that the problem should have said that ##A## is not a vector space unless ##A=0## or ##A=N##, where ##N## is the nullspace of ##b##.

8. Aug 10, 2014 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

In that case, you can write [itex]b(v,w) = v^TBw[/itex] for some real symmetric matrix [itex]B[/itex].

It is then easy to show that [itex]\ker B \subset A[/itex]. But [itex]A \subset \ker B[/itex] doesn't necessarily hold.

Consider the case where [itex]V = \mathbb{R}^4[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] is diagonal with eigenvalues 1, 1, -1 and 0 so that [tex]
    v^TBw = v_1w_1 + v_2w_2 - v_3w_3.
    [/tex] Now [itex]\ker B = \{(0,0,0,t) : t \in \mathbb{R} \}[/itex] and [itex]A = \{(x,y,z,t) \in \mathbb{R}^4 : z^2 = x^2 + y^2\}[/itex] which is the product of a double cone and the real line. It's not a subspace of [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

If it happens that [itex]A = \ker B[/itex] then [itex]A[/itex] is indeed a subspace. That [itex]A = \ker B[/itex] need not be [itex]\{0\}[/itex] or [itex]V[/itex] is shown by Orodruin's example.

9. Aug 14, 2014 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

And since [itex]B[/itex] is symmetric it is diagonalisable, so there exists a basis of eigenvectors. There is no reason not to use that basis, so you can take [tex]
    b(v,w) = \sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i v_i w_i
    [/tex] where [itex]v = \sum v_i e_i[/itex], [itex]w = \sum w_i e_i[/itex] and [itex]e_i[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]B[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_i[/itex].

Your aim is to show that if [itex]v \in A \setminus \ker B[/itex] then there exists a [itex]w \in A \setminus \ker B[/itex] such that at least one of [itex]v + w[/itex] and [itex]v - w[/itex] is not in [itex]A[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted