1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove continuouty of 1/x (delta-epsilon)

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for a while but I'm not really getting anywhere. Hints would be much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the function [itex]g(x)=1/x[/itex] is continuous on [itex]\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex], but cannot be defined at the origin [itex]0[/itex] in such a way that the resulting function is continuous on [itex]\latexbb{R}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Just the first part for now - proving continuity on [itex]\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex].
    They want an [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] proof. Here we go...

Let [itex]a,b\in\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex].
    Let [itex]\delta=\epsilon>0[/itex].
    Then [itex]\forall a\in\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex] and [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex] we have:
    [itex]\mid a-b\mid<\delta\Rightarrow\mid g(a)-g(b)\mid=\mid \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}\mid=\mid\frac{b-a}{ab}\mid<\frac{\delta}{\mid ab\mid}[/itex]
    Now I take the case where [itex]b[/itex] is such that [itex]\mid a-b\mid>1[/itex] and we have...
    [itex]\frac{\delta}{\mid ab\mid}<\delta=\epsilon[/itex]
    So it's proven for such [itex]b[/itex] (I think?)

Now I have no idea what to do about [itex]b[/itex] such that [itex]\mid a-b\mid<1[/itex]. Or was splitting it into two cases a bad idea? Am I going anywhere useful here?
    Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

It is not a good idea to split cases. You will have to take a different delta to handle the situation at once. The thing that gives some trouble, is the denominator |ab|. We want to make sure this is small. Now, a is fixed (since we want to prove continuity at the fixed point a), so in fact the only trouble is 1/|b|, which we want to make small. This is the same as |b| being not too big. This can be arranged by choosing the right delta, which will depend on a. In that way, |a-b|<delta implies that b will be close to a, and after some fiddling you will be able to estimate 1/|b|.
    I hope this helps you. You can also take a look at this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook