Prove/Disapprove n2 + 3n + 1 is prime for n > 0

• Thread starter blackle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, Composite numbers are those that are not always prime. However, the number 2+3+1 is prime for all integers.
blackle
Prove or disprove that n2 + 3n + 1 is always prime for integers n > 0.

I am at a complete loss. I don't even know where to begin.
Following are the formulas that I feel might be relevant:

1) a and b are relatively prime if their GCD(a, b) = 1
2) If a and b are positive integers, there exists s and r, such that GCD(a, b) = sa + tb
3) If ac ~ bc(modm) and GCD(c, m) = 1, then a ~ b(modm)

~ stands for is congruent

Any help would be appreciated. All I need to is a guiding stone to the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't attempted it, but it seems like induction would be a good one to try

If n2 + 3n + 1 were composite, it could be factored into (n + a)(n + b) for some integer values a and b.

welcome to pf by the way ;)

Mark44 said:
If n2 + 3n + 1 were composite, it could be factored into (n + a)(n + b) for some integer values a and b.
much easier

I second lanedance's welcome.

This problem makes me think of another one I saw a long time ago, where you're supposed to prove or disprove that n2 + n + 41 is prime for all positive integers n. As it turns out, when n = 40, you get 402 + 40 + 41 = 402 + 2*40 + 1 = (40 + 1)2, which is obviously not prime.

Let f(n) = n^2 + 3n + 1

When n = 1, f(1) = 5, which is a prime.
When n = 2, f(2) = 11, also a prime.
When n = 3, f(3) = 19, also a prime.
When n = 4, f(4) = 29, also a prime.
When n = 5, f(5) = 41, also a prime.
How about when n = 6? f(6) will give you what value? Is the value prime or composite? :)

Mark44 said:
Correction: If n2 + 3n + 1 were composite, it could be factored into abbn for some n.

blackle said:
1) a and b are relatively prime if their GCD(a, b) = 1
2) If a and b are positive integers, there exists s and r, such that GCD(a, b) = sa + tb
3) If ac ~ bc(modm) and GCD(c, m) = 1, then a ~ b(modm)
Those are *some* of the tools you would need to prove it.

Any help would be appreciated. All I need to is a guiding stone to the solution.
Hint: One way to disprove the conjecture "all positive integers are even" is to say "1 is odd". One counterexample is all that is to disprove a universal statement.

Mark44 said:

D H said:
Correction: If n2 + 3n + 1 were composite, it could be factored into abbn for some n.
Aren't we saying essentially the same thing? My n + a is your ab and my n + b is your bn (or vice versa).

Mark44 said:
Aren't we saying essentially the same thing?
I don't think so. My interpretation of your post is that you were giving a hint to the OP regarding the ability/inability to factor 2+3n+1 into the form (n+a)(n+b), where a and b are some fixed integers.

If that interpretation is correct we are saying something quite different.

Thank you! That was of great help :)

D H said:
I don't think so. My interpretation of your post is that you were giving a hint to the OP regarding the ability/inability to factor 2+3n+1 into the form (n+a)(n+b), where a and b are some fixed integers.

If that interpretation is correct we are saying something quite different.
Yes, your interpretation is correct, but I'm not seeing the difference, unless the difference involves a qualifier.

For n2 + 3n + 1 to be composite how is saying that it must factor into (n + a)(n + b) for some integers a and b different from saying that it factors into anbn?

Maybe a different example would be enlightening, say n2 + 19n + 34. This polynomial is factorable into (n + 2)(n + 17), so for an integer n, n2 + 19n + 34 is composite. Is the difference between these two examples the difference between "for some" and "for all?"

Mark44 said:
Maybe a different example would be enlightening, say n2 + 19n + 34. This polynomial is factorable into (n + 2)(n + 17), so for an integer n, n2 + 19n + 34 is composite. Is the difference between these two examples the difference between "for some" and "for all?"
Exactly. That n2+19n+34 factors into (n+2)(n+17) means that n2+19n+34 is a composite number for all positive integers. Always. That n2+3n+1 does not factor merely means that n2+3n+1 is not always a composite number. It does not means that it is always prime.

There is no such thing as a non-constant polynomial that yields a prime for all integers n.

OK, I get it now. The number theory class was several decades ago...

What is n2 + 3n + 1?

n2 + 3n + 1 is a polynomial expression where n is a variable. It can also be written as n^2 + 3n + 1. The value of this expression depends on the value of n.

What does it mean for a polynomial to be prime?

A polynomial is considered prime if it cannot be factored into smaller polynomials with integer coefficients. In other words, it cannot be written as a product of two or more polynomials.

How can I prove or disapprove that n2 + 3n + 1 is prime for n > 0?

To prove that n2 + 3n + 1 is prime for n > 0, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to show that there are no common factors between the coefficients of the polynomial. To disapprove, you can try to find factors of the polynomial by factoring or using a calculator.

Why is it important to determine if n2 + 3n + 1 is prime for n > 0?

Determining if n2 + 3n + 1 is prime for n > 0 can help in identifying patterns and properties of prime polynomials. It can also be useful in solving mathematical problems and equations that involve this polynomial.

Are there any values of n for which n2 + 3n + 1 is definitely prime?

No, there are no specific values of n for which n2 + 3n + 1 is definitely prime. However, there are values of n for which it is easier to prove or disapprove the primality of this polynomial, such as prime numbers or values that make the polynomial easier to factor.