Prove inverse image of function

In summary, when working with inverse images, it is important to keep in mind the definition of a preimage and to break up the a∈X∪Y equation to see which part is a source and which part is a target.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

When f: A -> B and S ⊆ B, we definte If(S) = { x ∈ A: f(s) ∈ S}. Let X and Y be subets of B.
a) Determine whether must equal If(X) ∪ If(Y).
b) Determine whether If(X ∩ Y) must equal If(X) ∩ If(Y).

Homework Equations

The definition of an inverse image is stated in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried to draw the schematic representation of the problem and didn't really get anything out of that.
Then I tried messing around with some proofs by saying "Choose an arbitrary x in If(X ∪ Y). Then, x = f(a) for some a in X ∪ Y." And then from there are I start questioning myself and don't know if I should continue/where I should go.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you seem to be kind of on the right track with your second attempt.

Suppose you have an arbitrary x in If(X [tex]\cup[/tex]Y). Then a = f(x) for some a in X [tex]\cup[/tex]Y.

Now break that union sign apart, and see what you get.

The same type of thinking will work for the "and" part of the question too.

Think about what this all means: you have two domains. In domain #1, you have "source" points. In domain #2, you have "target" points, like X and Y.

Now suppose you have a bunch of "target" points in domain #2. The preimage If is the set of "source" points that give you those target points.

Ok so I see that you break up the a∈ X∪Y to get a∈X or a∈Y but I don't see quite how to go from there.
I know when I prove this problem with images rather than inverse images, at this point I would say (assuming the problem and variables were in the right spots) f(a)∈ f(X) or f(a)∈ f(Y) and then x would be equal to f(A) but since I am doing inverse images, I don't know how to get back to x.
Hope what I'm trying to say kinda makes sense.

simmonj7 said:
Ok so I see that you break up the a∈ X∪Y to get a∈X or a∈Y but I don't see quite how to go from there.

What have you shown so far? You picked an arbitrary x value in the preimage of X∪Y (the "source"). So that means that a = f(x) for some a in X∪Y; that is, there's a "target" a in
X∪Y. That means that the target is either in X or in Y or both.

If the target is in X, then the source is in If(X), right? That's the definition of a preimage. And if the target is in Y, then the source is in If(Y).

Since we know that the target is either in X or Y or both, then the source is in the preimage of X or the preimage of Y or both. Hence we have shown that part 1 is true.

Now take a look at the second part. You can use the same ideas of sources and targets to solve that; you probably won't be surprised that part 2 is NOT true, since part 1 WAS true. Funny how problems often work that way.

Thank you for your help!
:)

What is the definition of inverse image of a function?

The inverse image of a function is the set of all inputs (domain values) that produce a given output (range value). In other words, it is the preimage of a specific output.

How is the inverse image of a function different from the inverse of a function?

The inverse image of a function is a set of inputs, while the inverse of a function is a new function that undoes the original function. In other words, the inverse image is a set of values, while the inverse is a function.

What is the notation used to represent the inverse image of a function?

The inverse image of a function is typically represented using the notation f-1(y). This means "the inverse image of y under the function f".

Can any function have an inverse image?

No, not all functions have an inverse image. Only functions that are one-to-one (injective) have an inverse image. This means that for every output, there is only one corresponding input.

How can the inverse image of a function be proved?

The inverse image of a function can be proved by showing that for every output, there is a unique corresponding input. This can be done by using the definition of inverse image and solving for the input using algebraic manipulation.