1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Inverse of Bijection function

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f is bijection. Prove that f⁻¹. is bijection.

2. Relevant equations

A bijection of a function occurs when f is one to one and onto.
    I think the proof would involve showing f⁻¹. is bijective, by showing f⁻¹ is onto, and one to one, since f is bijective it is invertible.

3. The attempt at a solution

To start:

Since f is invertible/bijective
    f⁻¹ is one-to-one:
    f:A→B
    f⁻¹:B→A

f(a)=b then f⁻¹(b)=a
    if f(a)=b f(a)=b' then b=b'
    So f⁻¹ is one-to-one

f⁻¹ is onto:
    *for f to be onto:
    f:A→B
    ∀a∈A,∃b∈B f(a)=b
    f⁻¹:B→A
    ∀b∈B,∃a∈A f(b)=a
    So f⁻¹ is onto.

Therefore f⁻¹ is bijective.
    Would this be correct?
    Thank You Very Much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if f(a)= b and f(a)= b' then b= b'. But that is true of any function, not just one-to-one functions so it does NOT show that f-1 is one-to-one. You need to start from "if f-1(a)= f-1(b)" and finish "therefore a= b". I would recommend taking f of both sides.

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I very much doubt that the book you use defines a surjection like that, but if it does it's simply wrong. The definition of a surjection is that [itex]\forall b \in B \;\; \exists a \in A , \text{such that} f(a)=b[/itex]. In words this means that a function's values span its whole codomain.

Example:
    [tex]
    f:[0,1] \rightarrow \{1,0\}, f(x)=1
    [/tex]

Using your definition of a surjection would allow you to conclude that this function, f, is a surjection. Seeing as for all values of [itex]x \in [0,1] [/itex] there is an [itex]y \in \{0,1\}[/itex] namely 1. Yet 0 never is reached for any [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex] thus it cannot be a surjection.
    Now lets use the correct definition of a surjection. For [itex]y=1[/itex] there is always an [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=1[/itex], namely all values within [0,1]. But for y=0 there is not a single value for [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex] such that f(x)=0. So there exist an [itex]y \in \{0,1\}[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \neq y[/itex], namely y=0. Therefore this function is not a surjection.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  6. Jul 6, 2009 #5
    Oh my apologies I made a mistake, you are right, I am working on some inverse function stuff and typing functions gets me confused very easily. But thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook