Prove limit of complex function

In summary, to prove that lim_{z -> 1 - i} [x + i(2x+y)] = 1 + i, where z = x + iy, we start from |x + i(2x + y) - (1 + i)| < epsilon and transform the LHS to an expression that includes |(x + iy) - (1 - i)|. Using the triangle inequality, we can bound this expression by |x-1| + |y+1|. Then, we can choose delta such that each of these terms is less than epsilon/2, proving the desired limit.
complexnumber

Homework Statement

Prove that lim_{z -> 1 - i} [x + i(2x+y)] = 1 + i

where z = x + iy

Homework Equations

Prove using definition of complex limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Start from |x + i(2x + y) - (1 + i)| < epsilon, need to transform LHS to an expression that includes |(x + iy) - (1 - i)|.

|x + i 2x + i y - 1 - i| < epsilon
|(x + iy) + i 2x - 1 - i| < epsilon

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh, OK I am assuming you handle these kind of limits the same way you do in one-variable calculus. So basically we need to find bounds for |x-1| and |y+1|. Note

|x + i(2x + y) - (1 + i)| = |x + 2xi - 1 - i + iy| = |x + 2xi -1 - i + (-i) + i + iy| = |(x-1)(1+2i) + i i(y+1)|.

So yeah, you should be able to take it from here.

snipez90, thanks for your reply.

Continue from your RHS, I get
[tex]
\begin{align*}
|(x-1)(1+2i) + i (y + 1)| =& \left|(1+2i) [(x-1) + \frac{i(y+1)}{1 +
2i}] \right| \\
=& |1+2i| \left| (x-1) + \frac{i(y+1) (1 - 2i)}{(1 + 2i) (1 - 2i)} \right| \\
=& |1+2i| \left| (x-1) + \frac{i(y+1) + 2(y+1)}{1 + 2i - 2i + 4}
\right| \\
=& |1+2i| \left| (x-1) + \frac{i + 2}{5} (y+1) \right| \\
=& \sqrt{5} \left| (x-1) + \frac{i + 2}{5} (y+1) \right|
\end{align*}
[/tex]

However, this is still not the same as required expression consisting of [tex]|(x-1) + i(y+1)|[/tex]. What should I do from here?

Hmm, what I was thinking was that you could apply the triangle inequality to
[tex]|(x-1)(1+2i) + i(y+1)|[/tex] (sorry about typo above) so that
[tex]|(x-1)(1+2i) + i(y+1)| \le \sqrt{5}|x-1| + |y +1|.[/tex]
Then require each of the two terms on the right to be less than [tex]\varepsilon/2,[/tex] and then choose delta accordingly.

Thank you for your reply to both of my threads. I get the idea now; i didn't think of triangle inequality at all.

1. What is the definition of a limit for a complex function?

The limit of a complex function is defined as the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a particular complex number. It can be written as:

limz→a f(z) = L

where a is the complex number and L is the limit value.

2. How is the limit of a complex function evaluated?

The limit of a complex function is evaluated by substituting the complex number into the function and observing the behavior of the function as the input approaches the complex number. If the function approaches a single value as the input gets closer to the complex number, then that single value is the limit. If the function approaches different values from different directions, then the limit does not exist.

3. Can the limit of a complex function be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a complex function can be infinite. This occurs when the function approaches a value of positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a particular complex number. However, the limit does not exist if the function approaches different infinite values from different directions.

4. What are some common techniques for proving the limit of a complex function?

Some common techniques for proving the limit of a complex function include using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, using the squeeze theorem, and using algebraic manipulations to rewrite the function and evaluate the limit. It is also important to understand the properties of limits and continuity of complex functions in order to prove the limit.

5. Are there any special cases when evaluating the limit of a complex function?

Yes, there are some special cases when evaluating the limit of a complex function. One special case is when the function is a polynomial, in which case the limit can be evaluated by simply substituting the complex number into the polynomial. Another special case is when the function is a rational function, in which case the limit can be evaluated using the concept of horizontal asymptotes. It is important to be familiar with these special cases in order to effectively evaluate the limit of a complex function.