1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove log(n)/n^sigma is a null sequence.

Tags:
  1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    Mod note: Moved from the homework section.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If σ > 0 and base b > 1 then prove that ##log n/n^σ## is a null sequence. This is not really a homework since i am self studying Konrad Knopp book about infinite series and i wanted to see different ideas and perspectives on the proof of the problem.Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide your proof of the problem?

Also what is the b value? Is it the base of the log function?

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3
    Yes the b is the base of the log function.

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
    Mod note: Edited text below to make it more readable.
    If b > 1 then we have ##b^σ > 1##. Therefore ##(n/(b^σ)^n)## is a null sequence.
    Given ε > 0 we have consequently from a point onwards - say for every n > m, ##(n/(b^σ)^n) < ε' = ε/b^σ##. But in any case, ##log n/n^σ < b^σ(g + 1/(b^σ)^g b^1 ))## . If g denotes the characteristic of log n . If therefore, ## n > b^m## Then, ## |(log\ n/n^σ)| < ε ∀\ n > b^m## Q.E.D

This is the proof of the book and it is a theorem not in the exercises as the author is building up the knowledge of the reader, but as i read this again i have one question now how did he come up with what n has to be bigger than ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook