1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove n^(1/n) tends to 1 as n tends to infinity

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to prove n^(1/n) tend to 1 as n tends to infinty

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Have tried comparing to n^(1/n)=(1+h) and using binomial series but no joy..please help
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The sequence [itex]n^{1/n}[/itex], as n goes to infinity, converges to a if the function [itex]x^{1/x}[/itex] converges to a as x goes to infinity. If we set [itex]y= x^{1/x}[/itex] then ln(y)= (ln x)/x which is of the "infinity/infinity" form so we can use L'Hopital's rule.
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    One direct method that comes to my mind is to show that for any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] there exist N such that
    n^{1/n}\leq 1+\varepsilon
    (It is easy to see that
    n^{1/n}\geq 1
    for all n>N.
    The first equation is equivalent to [itex]n\leq(1+\varepsilon)^n=1+n\varepsilon+\dots[/itex]

Do you see how to choose N?
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4
    wow..briliantly simple using l'hopital...though i have not yet come across this theorem at uni...still will impress the tutors. thanks
  6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    I cant see how to choose N....could you give me another hint?
  7. Nov 21, 2008 #6
    I should have included the next term in the binomial expansion:smile:

n\leq 1+n\varepsilon+\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\varepsilon^2\Leftrightarrow \dots
    You just have to solve this for n>... and take the next larger integer for N.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?