Prove n^(1/n) tends to 1 as n tends to infinity

• Thread starter heshbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the problem is to prove that the sequence n^{1/n} tends to 1 as n tends to infinity. Several methods can be used, including using L'Hopital's rule and choosing a value for N such that n^{1/n} is less than or equal to 1+epsilon for all n>N.
heshbon

Homework Statement

Need to prove n^(1/n) tend to 1 as n tends to infinty

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried comparing to n^(1/n)=(1+h) and using binomial series but no joy..please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
heshbon said:

Homework Statement

Need to prove n^(1/n) tend to 1 as n tends to infinty

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried comparing to n^(1/n)=(1+h) and using binomial series but no joy..please help
The sequence [itex]n^{1/n}[/itex], as n goes to infinity, converges to a if the function [itex]x^{1/x}[/itex] converges to a as x goes to infinity. If we set [itex]y= x^{1/x}[/itex] then ln(y)= (ln x)/x which is of the "infinity/infinity" form so we can use L'Hopital's rule.

One direct method that comes to my mind is to show that for any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] there exist N such that
[tex]
n^{1/n}\leq 1+\varepsilon
[/tex]
(It is easy to see that
[tex]
n^{1/n}\geq 1
[/tex]
)
for all n>N.
The first equation is equivalent to [itex]n\leq(1+\varepsilon)^n=1+n\varepsilon+\dots[/itex]

Do you see how to choose N?

wow..briliantly simple using l'hopital...though i have not yet come across this theorem at uni...still will impress the tutors. thanks

I can't see how to choose N...could you give me another hint?

Pere Callahan said:
The first equation is equivalent to [itex]n\leq(1+\varepsilon)^n=1+n\varepsilon+\dots[/itex]
?
I should have included the next term in the binomial expansion:smile:

[tex]
n\leq 1+n\varepsilon+\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\varepsilon^2\Leftrightarrow \dots
[/tex]
You just have to solve this for n>... and take the next larger integer for N.

1. What does the expression n^(1/n) mean?

The expression n^(1/n) is known as the n-th root of n. It is the number that, when multiplied by itself n times, gives the value of n.

2. Why is it important to prove that n^(1/n) tends to 1 as n tends to infinity?

Proving that n^(1/n) tends to 1 as n tends to infinity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function as the input (n) grows larger and larger. It also has applications in fields such as calculus, number theory, and statistics.

3. How can this expression be simplified?

The expression n^(1/n) can be simplified as n^(1/n) = (n^1)^(1/n) = n^(1/n) = n^(1/n) = n^(1/n) = n^(1/n) = n^(1/n).

4. What is the proof that n^(1/n) tends to 1 as n tends to infinity?

The proof involves using the binomial theorem and the concept of limits. It can be shown that as n increases, the terms involving n in the binomial theorem become smaller and smaller, ultimately approaching 0. This leads to the limit of n^(1/n) approaching 1 as n tends to infinity.

5. Are there any exceptions to this result?

Yes, there are exceptions to this result. For example, when n is a negative number or a fraction, the expression n^(1/n) does not tend to 1 as n tends to infinity. It is also important to note that this result is only true for real numbers, not complex numbers.