Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove nonempty, unbounded feasible region has no optimal solution

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be the set of all points (x,y) in the plane satisfying x≥0, y≥0, -x-2y≥-8.

a. Show that C is nonempty and unbounded.
    b. Prove that the LP problem: Max M=2x+3y subject to the constraint that (x,y) lie in C has no feasible, optimal solution.
    c. Show that the LP problem: Max M=-3x-6y subject to the constraint that (x,y) lie in C does have a feasible, optimal solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a. I graphed the constraints and showed that the feasible region is the entire first quadrant, and therefore C is nonempty and unbounded (provided attachment of my work - is this enough?)

b. I could "show" this but I have no idea how to "prove" it. Does it involve the simplex method?

c. Same question as above

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is something wrong with the question: what it is asking you is false if you have copied down the constraints correctly. The constraints are x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0 and -x-2y ≥ -8, which is the *same as* x + 2y ≤ 8. Here the feasible region is nonempty and bounded, and so the problems max 2x + 3y and max -3x - 6y (which is the same as min 3x + 6y) both have feasible, optimal solutions.

RGV

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Sorry here is the problem, corrected:
    Let C be the set of all points (x,y) in the plane satisfying x≥0, y≥0, -x-2y≤-8.

a. Show that C is nonempty and unbounded.
    b. Prove that the LP problem: Max M=2x+3y subject to the constraint that (x,y) lie in C has no feasible, optimal solution.
    c. Show that the LP problem: Max M=-3x-6y subject to the constraint that (x,y) lie in C does have a feasible, optimal solution.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4
    someone please help :(

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have already helped, but you have ignored my assistance.

RGV

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
    No, I had the problem written down wrong. You helped me with the wrong problem

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook