Verifying exact value of optimal solution

• Thread starter csc2iffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the problem can be solved graphically by finding the intersection of the two lines that intersect the given constraints. The maximum point is found at this intersection, and the solution is 5x + 2y= 3600.
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

(a) Formulate a LP model for the problem.

x = # units special risk insurance
y = # units mortgages
P = profit

Objective: Maximize P = 5x + 2y

Constraints:
3x + 2y ≤ 2400​
y ≤ 800​
2x ≤ 1200​
x,y ≥ 0​

(b) Use graphical method to solve.
I graphed the constraints and saw that the maximum value point within the feasible region is (600,300). Therefore, max P = 5(600)+2(300) = 3600

(c) Verify the exact solution of your optimal solution from part (b) by solving algebraically for the simultaneous solution of the relevant two equations.
Here, I am not sure what the "relevant two equations" are.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at (c):
3x + 2y = 2400 --> y = (1/2)(2400-3x)
2x = 1200 --> x = 600
y = (1/2)(2400 - 3(600)) = 300
Then P = 5x + 2y = 5(600) + 2(300) = 3600

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
csc2iffy said:

Homework Statement

y = # units mortgages
P = profit

Constraints:
3x + 2y ≤ 2400​
y ≤ 800​
2x ≤ 1200​
x,y ≥ 0​

I graphed the constraints and saw that the maximum value point within the feasible region is (600,300). Therefore, max P = 5(600)+2(300) = 3600

(c) Verify the exact solution of your optimal solution from part (b) by solving algebraically for the simultaneous solution of the relevant two equations.

Homework Equations

2x = 1200 --> x = 600

Is this correct?

When you solve the problem graphically, the solution point will lie on the intersection of two of the 5 boundary lines L1 --L5, where L1 is the line {3x + 2y = 2400}, L2 is {y = 800}, L3 is {2x = 1200}, L4 is {x = 0} and L5 is {y = 0}. The two relevant intersection lines give you your two relevant equations.

RGV

csc2iffy said:

Homework Statement

y = # units mortgages
P = profit

Constraints:
3x + 2y ≤ 2400​
y ≤ 800​
2x ≤ 1200​
x,y ≥ 0​

Homework Equations

2x = 1200 --> x = 600

Is this correct?

I think you can set all the inequalities as equalities, and solve each pairs of them and substitute into P to see which solution gives you the maximum. The idea is that this is a totally linear optimization, the maximum or minimum ALWAYS occurs at the "corner" of your feasible region

Once he has solved the problem graphically he can see exactly which of the pairs hold, so there is no need to try them all. Of course, the simplex method uses the "corner point" property to search intelligently through the relevant corners in general problems of this type.

RGV

Thanks!

1. How do you determine the exact value of the optimal solution?

The exact value of the optimal solution can be determined through mathematical calculations and algorithms. It involves analyzing the problem and its constraints to find the best possible solution.

2. What is the significance of verifying the exact value of the optimal solution?

Verifying the exact value of the optimal solution ensures that the solution is accurate and meets all constraints. It also helps to identify any potential errors or discrepancies in the solution.

3. Can the exact value of the optimal solution change over time?

It is possible for the exact value of the optimal solution to change over time if there are changes in the problem or its constraints. However, in most cases, the solution remains the same unless there are significant changes.

4. How can technology aid in verifying the exact value of the optimal solution?

Technology, such as computer programs and algorithms, can aid in solving complex problems and verifying the exact value of the optimal solution. These tools can perform calculations and simulations much faster and more accurately than manual methods.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying the exact value of the optimal solution?

Yes, there can be limitations to verifying the exact value of the optimal solution, especially in complex and large-scale problems. It may require significant computing power and time to find the exact solution, and even then, it may not be possible to find an entirely accurate solution due to the complexity of the problem.