Prove problem involving sec cos sin

• Thread starter MathRaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, secant is the reciprocal of cosine and sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. To prove problems involving these functions, trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulation, and careful analysis are necessary. A common mistake is not using the correct identities or making algebraic errors. To improve, practice problems and review fundamental concepts and identities.
MathRaven
Hi guys been struggling to solve this
If you know how to do it, please do solve and show work so that I can follow your steps

Homework Statement

prove (sec(x)-cos(x))/(sec(x)+cos(x))=(sin^2(x))/(1+cos^2(x))

Physics news on Phys.org
sec(x) = 1/cos(x). So, write both secant terms in this way. Then, separately in both the numerator and the denominator, combine the two terms by finding their common denominator. What do you end up with?

1. What is the definition of secant, cosine, and sine?

The secant function (sec) is the reciprocal of the cosine function (cos), and the sine function (sin) represents the ratio of the side opposite to the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

2. How do I prove a problem involving sec, cos, and sin?

To prove a problem involving sec, cos, and sin, you will need to use trigonometric identities and properties, as well as algebraic manipulation and substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the given problem and choose the appropriate identities and techniques to use.

3. Can you provide an example of a problem involving sec, cos, and sin?

One example of a problem involving sec, cos, and sin is proving the identity: secx + cosx = 1/secx. This can be solved by using the reciprocal and Pythagorean identities, as well as algebraic manipulation.

4. What are some common mistakes when proving problems involving sec, cos, and sin?

Some common mistakes when proving problems involving sec, cos, and sin include not using the correct identities, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying the final answer.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in proving problems involving sec, cos, and sin?

To practice and improve your skills in proving problems involving sec, cos, and sin, you can solve practice problems, watch tutorial videos, and attend review sessions. It is also important to understand the fundamental concepts and identities related to these trigonometric functions.