Solve the given problem that involves Trigonometry

OK. That does appear to work. In my opinion, unless you give that sort of explanation, it's next to impossible to see that your solution is correct.I think that the more straight forward way to get the result would be to let ##A=\theta## and ##B=30^\circ##, then proceed:##\displaystyle \cos(A+B) \cos(A-B)=\left\{ \cos A \cos B - \sin A \sin B \right \} \left\{ \cos A \cos B + \sin A \sin B \right \}## ##\displaystyle = \cos^2 A \cos^2 B - \sin^2 A \sin
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
Trigonometry
1686651718822.png

For part (a),

We know that ##\cos (-θ)=\cos (θ)## and ##\sin (-θ)=-\sin (θ)##

##\cos (A-B)=\cos A\cos (-B) -\sin A\sin(-B)##

##\cos (A-B)=\cos A\cos (B) +\sin A\sin(B)##

##\cos (A-B)=\cos A\cos B+\sin A\sin B##

For part (b)

##f(θ)=\cos 60^0- \sin (θ+30^0)\sin (θ-30^0)##
##f(θ)=\cos 2θ+ \sin (θ+30^0)\sin (θ-30^0)##

on addition,
##2f(θ)= \cos 60^0 + cos 2θ##

##2f(θ)=\dfrac{1}{2}+ (2\cos^2 θ -1)##

##f(θ)=\cos^2 θ - \dfrac{1}{4}##For part (c) i,

The maximum value of ##f(θ)## is given by,

##f(180^0)=\left[1-\dfrac{1}{4}\right]=\dfrac{3}{4}## at smallest positive value of ##θ=180^0##

The minimum value of ##f(θ)## is given by,

##f(90^0)=\left[0-\dfrac{1}{4}\right]=-\dfrac{1}{4}## at smallest positive value of ##θ=90^0##

Bingo!

Any insight/alternative approach is highly welcome. Cheers guys. :cool:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have for part (b) is so wrong that it's difficult to make any guess as to what you were trying to do.

Clearly it can't be that both of the following statements are true:

chwala said:
For part (b)

##f(θ)=\cos 60^0- \sin (θ+30^0)\sin (θ-30^0)##
##f(θ)=\cos 60^0+ \sin (θ+30^0)\sin (θ-30^0)##

on addition,
Furthermore, on addition they give:

##2f(θ)=2\cos 60^\circ##

Last edited:
SammyS said:
What you have for part (b) is so wrong that it's difficult to make any guess as to what you were trying to do.

Clearly it can't be that both of the following statements are true:Furthermore, on addition they give:

##2f(θ)=2\cos 60^\circ##
I just amended.

...small typo boss! That should be clear to you now.

chwala said:
I just amended.

...small typo boss! That should be clear to you now.
That does give some small hint as to what you were trying to do. The only thing clear about this is that the result does not follow from what is given.

Suggestion:

Use part (a) to get a general result for ##\cos(A+B) \cos(A-B)##. You get a difference times a sum, which factors to a difference of squares. Use that to get ##f(\theta)## plugging in ##\theta## for ##A## and ##30^\circ## for ##B## .

SammyS said:
That does give some small hint as to what you were trying to do. The only thing clear about this is that the result does not follow from what is given.

Suggestion:

Use part (a) to get a general result for ##\cos(A+B) \cos(A-B)##. You get a difference times a sum, which factors to a difference of squares. Use that to get ##f(\theta)## plugging in ##\theta## for ##A## and ##30^\circ## for ##B## .
...this should be simple sir, I just made use of part (a);
Specifically, ##\cos(A+B)## and ##\cos (A-B)##...that gave me the two simultaneous equations.

chwala said:
...this should be simple sir, I just made use of part (a);
Specifically, ##\cos(A+B)## and ##\cos (A-B)##...that gave me the two simultaneous equations.
That may be what you intended to do, but you totally messed it up.

SammyS said:
That may be what you intended to do, but you totally messed it up.
fine, i hope you're having a great day...let me just repeat what i did.Let

##(θ+30^0)=A##

and

let ##(θ-30^0)=B##

Then,

##\cos(A+B)=f(θ)-\sin A\sin B##
##\cos (A-B)=f(θ)+\sin A\sin B##

##\cos 2θ=f(θ)-\sin A\sin B##
##\cos 60^0=f(θ)+\sin A\sin B##

cheers boss!

Last edited:
chwala said:
fine, i hope you're having a great day...let me just repeat what i did.Let

##(θ+30^0)=A##

and

let ##(θ-30^0)=B##

Then,

##\cos(A+B)=f(θ)-\sin A\sin B##
##\cos (A-B)=f(θ)+\sin A\sin B##

##\cos 2θ=f(θ)-\sin A\sin B##
##\cos 60^0=f(θ)+\sin A\sin B##

cheers boss!
OK. That does appear to work. In my opinion, unless you give that sort of explanation, it's next to impossible to see that your solution is correct.

I think that the more straight forward way to get the result would be to let ##A=\theta## and ##B=30^\circ##, then proceed:

##\displaystyle \cos(A+B) \cos(A-B)=\left\{ \cos A \cos B - \sin A \sin B \right \} \left\{ \cos A \cos B + \sin A \sin B \right \}##

##\displaystyle = \cos^2 A \cos^2 B - \sin^2 A \sin^2 B ##

##\displaystyle = \cos^2 \theta \cos^2 30^\circ - \sin^2 \theta \sin^2 30^\circ ##

etc.

Likes chwala

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, architecture, navigation, and physics. It can be used to calculate distances and heights, determine angles and trajectories, and solve problems involving waves and periodic motion.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are used to find missing sides or angles.

4. How do I solve a problem involving Trigonometry?

To solve a problem involving Trigonometry, you will need to identify the given information and determine which trigonometric function to use. Then, you can set up and solve an equation to find the missing side or angle.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Trigonometry include using the wrong trigonometric function, forgetting to convert angles to the correct units, and rounding too early in the problem. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.