1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove sequence converges to sup

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that E is contained in ##\mathbb{R}## is a nonempty bounded set and that ##\sup E## is not in E. Prove that there exists a strictly increasing sequence ##\left\{x_n\right\}## that converges to ##\sup E## such that ##x_n \in E## for all n in ##\mathbb{N}##.

2. Relevant equations
    More like Relevant theorems:
    Bolzano-Weirstrass,
    Completeness,
    Monotone convergence.

3. The attempt at a solution

E is contained in R and nonempty so by Completeness, sup E exists. E is bounded so -a < e < a for all e in E and let supE = a which is not in E. I suppose this might be the essence of the proof, but how exactly do we know such a sequence in E exists? If there existed a function ##f: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with all the ##x_n## in E, then provided I can show such a sequence is strictly increasing (and that it exists) then the rest of the problem becomes trivial. I thought about using nested intervals but I didn't get very far. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2
    Here's an outline/suggestion on how to proceed: let [itex]sup(E)=s_E[/itex].
    1) Can you show that given any [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists an [itex]x\in E[/itex] such that [itex]s_E-\epsilon<x[/itex]?
    2) Consider the sequence [itex]\epsilon_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]; apply this sequence of epsilons to part 1 to show that you can generate a sequence in [itex]E[/itex], call it [itex]x_n[/itex].
    3) Show that this sequence converges to [itex]sup(E)=s_E[/itex].

Hint for part 1): this is a good exercise in proof by contradiction which teaches you how to negate quantifiers; "for all"'s become "there exists" and vice-versa, and statements get negated.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, this is the Approximation property for suprema

I can make the following statements: supE - 1 < x for some x, supE - 1/2 < x for some x, etc.. So supE-1, supE-1/2,...supE-1/n.. would make a sequence and indeed it would be strictly increasing. My only worry is that how can I be sure that the elements would be in E?

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4
    The numbers [itex]Sup(E)-1, Sup(E)-1/2, Sup(E)-1/3,...[/itex] aren't the numbers you're interested in; it's the x's that bound them that you want to look at.

Let's start at n=1. You said that there exists an [itex]x\in E[/itex] such that [itex]Sup(E)-1<x[/itex]. Let's call this x we found [itex]x_1[/itex].
    Now, n=2. We know that there exists an [itex]x\in S[/itex] such that [itex]Sup(E)-1/2<x[/itex]. Let's call this second x we've found [itex]x_2[/itex].
    Then we could do the same for n=3, n=4, etc.

The important part thing is we can do this for ANY n; so in particular, there exists a sequence [itex]x_n\in E[/itex] with the property that [itex]Sup(E)-1/n<x_n[/itex]. Can you show that this sequence converges? Hint below if you can't get it.

You also know that, because [itex]Sup(E)[/itex] is the supremum, that each [itex]x_n[/itex] is bounded by [itex]Sup(E)[/itex]. So you have [itex]Sup(E)-1/n<x_n\leq Sup(E)[/itex].

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. Apr 29, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Ok so the last statement implies $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sup E - \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \leq \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_n$$ From this ##x_n## must converge to ##\sup E##. It caanot be greater because the ##x_n## are bounded above by ##\sup E##. Is this all I need to do? I haven't checked your hint yet, I prefer to have feedback first.

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6
    Yes, that is basically the idea. Since the sequence [itex]sup(E)-1/n[/itex] converges to [itex]sup(E)[/itex], and [itex]x_n[/itex] is bounded above by the [itex]sup(R)[/itex] and below by this [itex]sup(E)-1/n[/itex], it must converge to [itex]sup(E)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted