1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a converging sequence is bounded

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the sequence {an}converges. Show that the sequence {an} is bounded.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the sequence converges, for every delta>0, there must exist a number N such that for every n>=N,
    |an - x|< delta. Therefore, for n>=N, -delta+x < an < delta + x.
    So I've proven that for n>=N, the sequence is bounded between -delta+x and delta+x.

But I don't know how to prove that for n<N, an is also bounded. I know that there are only a finite number of elements before the sequence starts to converge. Is there a theorem stating that all finite sets are bounded?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
    I would consider looking at the maximum of a finite set.

4. Aug 31, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

To expand a little:
    Pick an [tex] \varepsilon > 0 [/tex], and use convergence to conclude that

[tex]
    |x_i - a | < \varepsilon
    [/tex]

for all [tex] i \ge N [/tex].

You now have two sets of elements of the sequence: those with [tex] i \ge N [/tex] and those for smaller [tex] i [/tex]. You should be able to argue that both sets are bounded, which means ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  5. Aug 31, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. All finite sets are bounded. Prove it by induction. (If you really need a proof).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?