Prove that a function is periodic.

In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula x(t) = x(t+T) to prove that a function is periodic. An example equation is given and the process of setting up the equation is explained. The solution for T is found to be T = 0, 2∏, 4∏... but it is clarified that T = 0 is not a valid period for the function. The correct period is found to be T = 2/3∏.
Mr.Tibbs
Hey all, I want to prove that a function is periodic using the formula:

x(t) = x(t+T)

where T is the supposed period.An example equation would be:

x(t) = 7sin(3t)

I would set up the equation like so:

7sin(3t) = 7sin(3*(t+T))

assuming that they equal each other:

3*t = 3*(t+T)

solving for T gives:

T = 0

but T = 0 = 2∏

am I right in assuming that it is periodic with a period of 2∏ or since T = 0 is it aperiodic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Tibbs said:
Hey all, I want to prove that a function is periodic using the formula:

x(t) = x(t+T)

where T is the supposed period.

An example equation would be:

x(t) = 7sin(3t)

I would set up the equation like so:

7sin(3t) = 7sin(3*(t+T))

assuming that they equal each other:

3*t = 3*(t+T)

solving for T gives:

T = 0,2∏,4∏...

but [STRIKE]T = 0 = 2∏ [/STRIKE] T = 0,2∏

am I right in assuming that it is periodic with a period of 2∏?

Welcome to the PF. I have changed the bolded part slightly to state the solution better...

Thank you for clearing that up for me, so from what you have corrected I believe that it's safe to assume that the equation is periodic with a period of:

T = 2∏

Mr.Tibbs said:
Thank you for clearing that up for me, so from what you have corrected I believe that it's safe to assume that the equation is periodic with a period of:

T = 2∏

Oops, no sorry. I skimmed what you wrote, and missed the multiplier of 3 inside: x(t) = 7sin(3t)

the sin() function is periodic in 2∏. When you have sin(3t), what does t have to be to make 2∏ ?

Mr.Tibbs said:

T = 2∏

No, not quite. The function y = sin(t) is periodic with period ##2\pi##, but the function y = sin(3t) has a shorter period.

Assuming that it has the same effect as time scaling, multiplying the period of the function by 3 should create a new period of:

T = [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]∏

Awesome! Makes a lot more sense now! Thank you for all your help!

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals or periods. This means that the function will have the same output at certain intervals of its input.

2. How can I prove that a function is periodic?

In order to prove that a function is periodic, you can show that it has a repeating pattern or that it satisfies the definition of a periodic function. This means that the function must have a fixed period, where the output repeats itself after a certain interval of the input.

3. Can a function be periodic if it has a different period for different parts of its domain?

No, a function cannot be periodic if it has a different period for different parts of its domain. A periodic function must have a fixed period throughout its entire domain.

4. What is the difference between a periodic function and an oscillating function?

A periodic function repeats itself at regular intervals, while an oscillating function does not necessarily have a set period and may exhibit more irregular behavior. Additionally, an oscillating function may approach a limit, while a periodic function will always repeat the same values.

5. Is there a specific method for proving that a function is periodic?

Yes, there are several methods for proving that a function is periodic. These include showing that the function has a repeating pattern, using mathematical induction, or using the definition of a periodic function to show that it has a fixed period.