1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a sequence of subsequential limits contains inf and sup

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Okay. The problem I have is:

Let {x_n} be bdd and let E be the set of subsequential limits of {x_n}. Prove that E is bdd and E contains both its lowest upper bound and its greatest lower bound.

So far, I have:
    {x_n} is bdd => no subseq of {x_n} can converge outside of {x_n}'s bounds=>E is bounded.
    Now, sse that y=sup(E) is not in E=> there is a z in E s.t. y-e < z < y for some e > 0.

Now, how would one proceed from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can generate a sequence of z's by using a sequence of e's that goes to 0. This sequence of z's the must converge to y.

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    I already had thought of that: you have y - e< z < y. Take e to be 1/k with e going to infinity, then {z_k} cgt to y, but what can we really conclude from that? Is there any guarentee that a {z_k} is in the original seq?

5. Oct 18, 2006 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can't find a z for any e>0, then y is > sup(E)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?