The Subsequential Limit Points of a Bounded Sequence

In summary, to prove that the set of subsequential limit points of a bounded sequence (a_n) is a subsequentially compact set, we can use the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem which guarantees the existence of at least one convergent subsequence for any bounded sequence. This means that any sequence in the set of subsequential limit points will have a convergent subsequence, making the set subsequentially compact.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let (a_n) be a bounded sequence. Prove that the set of subsequential limit points of (a_n) is a subsequentially compact set

Homework Equations

To be a subsequentutially compact set, every sequence in the set of limit points of (a_n) must have a convergent subsequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a hint to help get me started >.< haha. My attempt at the solution is just thoughts, hard to get the pencil to the paper if you know what I mean.

So first of all I'm trying to think of what sequences in the set of subsequential limit points will look like. Yeah, any insight what-so-ever is appreciated, analysis is hard >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
Without having the solution in mind ... it's always a good idea, to start with what one has. This means to write down the definitions. I counted three: limit point, subsequential limit point and subsequential compact. I suppose this involves a lot of subsequences, so it might be possible to concentrate on only them. I guess, you will need to construct a (convergent) sequence out of the ones in the set of subsequential limit points and you will be able to use the ordinary compactness to find one.

Likes PsychonautQQ
You have a family of convergent subsequences that are all bounded. Let [itex]D[/itex] be the set that contains the limit points of the subsequences. What can be said about [itex]D[/itex]?

Likes PsychonautQQ
nuuskur said:
You have a family of convergent subsequences that are all bounded. Let [itex]D[/itex] be the set that contains the limit points of the subsequences. What can be said about [itex]D[/itex]?

So I have a family of convergent subsequences because I have a set of subsequential limit points. If we let D be the set that contains the limit points of the subsequences, we can say that D is bounded, because (a_n) is bounded. Therefore we can use the bolzano-weirstrass theorem which states that every bounded sequences has a convergent subsequence, and thus the set of subsequential limit points of (a_n) is a subsequentially compact set, because any sequence in this set will have a convergent subsequence.
Boom shacka lacka?

Likes nuuskur
Your end result is correct, but you have convergent subsequences because the initial sequence is bounded. The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is a very powerful tool, as you can see :)

So I have a family of convergent subsequences because I have a set of subsequential limit points

This is a bit odd to consider. If I have a point, I can immediately construct a sequence that converges to that point. B-W guarantees the existence of at least one convergent subsequence of a bounded sequence. There are probably more. Without loss of generality, a family of such subsequences.

Last edited:

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and the functions defined on them. It involves the rigorous study of concepts such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. What topics are covered in Real Analysis 1?

In Real Analysis 1, you will cover topics such as sequences and series, limits and continuity, differentiation, and the Riemann integral. These topics serve as the foundation for further study in advanced mathematics.

3. What are the applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides the mathematical framework for understanding and solving real-world problems.

4. Is Real Analysis a difficult subject?

Real Analysis can be challenging, as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and rigorous proof-writing skills. However, with dedication and practice, it can be a rewarding and fascinating subject to study.

5. How can I prepare for Real Analysis 1?

To prepare for Real Analysis 1, it is important to have a solid understanding of calculus and basic mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and limits. Reviewing these topics and practicing with problems can help you succeed in Real Analysis 1.