1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that function tends to 0 everywhere in this interval

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From Spivak: Suppose that ##A_{n}## is, for each natural number ##n##, some finite set of numbers in ##[0,1]##, and that ##A_n## and ##A_m## have no members in common if ##m\neq n##. Define f as follows:
    ##f(x) = \frac{1}{n}##, if ##x \in A_n##
    ##f(x) = 0##, if ##x \notin A_n## for all ##n##​
    Prove that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = 0## for all ##a## in ##[0,1]##.
    2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to follow micromass' suggestion, so I would be delighted if someone could assist me. My main concern is that I did not really make use of the assumption that ##A_n## and ##A_m## have no members in common if ##m\neq n##.
    Proof: We first prove the limit tends towards ##0## for all ##a## in the open interval ##(0,1)##. So let ##\epsilon >0## be arbitrary, and let ##a## be an arbirtrary element of ##(0,1)##. We can find some natural number ##n_{\epsilon}## such that for all ##m\in \mathbb{N}## for which ##m\geq n_{\epsilon}##, ##\frac{1}{m} < \epsilon##, so there is only a finite number of natural numbers ##1,...,n_{\epsilon}-1## whose reciprocals are greater than ##\epsilon##, and therefore finitely many ##y\in [0,1]## for which ##|f(y)| > \epsilon##. Hence, we will be able to find a neighbourhood of ##a## which does not contain any of the ##y##'s, and hence there exists a ##\delta## such that for all ##x##, ##0<|x-a|<\delta## implies ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##. For the endpoint ##0##and ##1##, the right and left hand limits both tend to 0 respectively, and since ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x \notin [0,1]##, we can conclude that ##\lim_{x\to 0}f(x) = \lim_{x\to 1}f(x) = 0##.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That assumption is (implicitly) used in the definition of the function ##f##. If ##A_n## and ##A_m## have members in common, ##f## is not well-defined.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    Oh right, thanks Samy, I did not catch that :oldbiggrin:

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4
    Hi lordianed ! This exercise is very much like the previous one you put on PF a few days ago.

Assume that your function converges to a limit ##\ell## as ##x\rightarrow a##. Assume that ## a \in ]0,1[## and adapt the definition for ##a\in\{0,1\}##.

So you have,

##\forall \epsilon > 0,\ \exists\delta >0\ \forall x\in [0,1] \ ( x\in[ a - \delta , a + \delta ] \Rightarrow |f(x) - l | \le \epsilon) ##

You need to show that in ##[ a - \delta , a + \delta ]##, there is an element ##x_0## that belongs to none of the ##A_n##. In which case ## |\ell| = |f(x_0) - \ell | \le \epsilon##. That proves that if the limit exists, it has to be zero.

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5
    Thanks Geoffrey, I'll try that method too. However I asked to have my proof ripped apart so to say, I already have tried proving it and would love to see people point out any flaws in my argument in the original post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted