1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspaceV such that

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspaceV such that....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vector space V such that S1 is a subset of S2,then span(S1) is a subset of span(s2). In particular, if s1 is a subset of s2 and span(s1)=V, deduce that span(s2)=V.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I came up with this, but I doubt its right. Particularly, it only applies to a finite subset. I don't know how I'd modify it to fit any subset.

Let s1,s2 be subsets of V such that s1 is a subset of s2. In cases1=s2, it is clear that span(s1)=span(s2). In case s1 does not equal s2, let x1...xn be the elements of s1. Then a1x1+a2x2+....anxn for all scalars A are in span(s1). We can write x1....xn....xk as the elements of s2. Then by definition a1x1+...anxn+....akxk are in span(s2). So span(s1) is a subset of span(s2).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Prove that if s1 and s2 are subsets of a vectorspaceV such that....

There is a theorem (or perhaps in your text it is even used as a definition) that the span of a set (possibly infinite) consists of finite linear combinations. So if you take any vector v from span(S1) then you can write it as a1x1+a2x2+....anxn for some scalars ai and finitely many vectors xi in S1. Now you only have to show that v is then also in span(S2). That's almost trivial though, if you note that span(S2) is a vector space by definition of span.

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3

I just checked my text, and for some reason it doesn't mention that the span is a finite set of linear combinations. But now I know.

Let s1,s2 be subsets of V such that s1 is a subset of s2. In case s1=s2, it is clear that span(s1)=span(s2). In case s1 does not equal s2, let z=a1x1+a2x2+....anxn be the set of linear combinations of the elements of s1. By definition, z is an element of span(s1). Since the span of any set is a subspace, span(s2) is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. Since x1....xn are all elements of span(s2) for some a1...an, by the definition of a subspace, x=a1x1+a2x2+....anxn is also in span(s2).

Does this work?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. Apr 16, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, I didn't say that the set is a finite set of linear combinations. I said it is a set of finite linear combinations, which is something completely different.

Also, z = a1x1 + ... + anxn is not a set, and it needn't contain all the elements of s1. In any case, if you want to prove that span(S1) is a subset of span(S2), you will need to make clear that you are taking any element z from span(S1). You can use that if you pick such a z, you can write it in the form you gave; rather than: if you write something in the form you gave, it is in span(S1).

Finally, a sentence like
    "Since x1....xn are all elements of span(s2) for some a1...an"
    is weird: why are x1 ... xn elements of span(S2) and what does a1...an have to do with them? I don't see a1...an in x1...xn?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook