Water droplet coalescence - prove S < S1 + S2

• Thread starter bioinformaticsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: I was able to work through it. Sorry for the confusion. I'll keep working to avoid this in the future.In summary, two water droplets with different radii, volumes, and surface areas coalesce to form a "joint" droplet with a combined volume. It needs to be proven analytically that the surface area of the "joint" droplet is less than the sum of the individual surface areas. This can be done by substituting the radius from the volume equation into the inequality and simplifying.
bioinformaticsgirl

Homework Statement

There are two water droplets with the radii R1 and R2, volumes V1 and V2, and surface areas S1 and S2. Assume that R1 is not equal to R2.

Upon coalescence, two droplets form a "joint" droplet with the volume V=V1+V2.

Prove analytically that the surface area of the "joint" droplet S < S1 + S2.

Homework Equations

surface area of a sphere, volume of a sphere, and radius of a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have, but not sure how to factor this out and turn into the inequality proof:

S < S1 + S2
4piR^2 < 4piR1^2 + 4piR2^2

V = V1 + V2
4/3piR^3 = 4/3piR1^3 + 4/3piR2^3

Physics news on Phys.org
bioinformaticsgirl said:
There are two water droplets with the radii R1 and R2, volumes V1 and V2, and surface areas S1 and S2. Assume that R1 is not equal to R2.

is there one more condition related to surface tension?

Assumed that pressure is equivalent

bioinformaticsgirl said:
Assumed that pressure is equivalent
Is it wise assumption?

i do not think so - as any water droplet is having a pressure related to surface tension and radius r . you must use it

drvrm said:
Is it wise assumption?

i do not think so - as any water droplet is having a pressure related to surface tension and radius r . you must use it
What has the surface tension got to do with it if the shape is a sphere and the final volume is the sum of the two initial volumes?

Likes bioinformaticsgirl
This is really a math problem, and I'm moving it to the Introductory Math Forum.

Chet

Likes bioinformaticsgirl
Chestermiller said:
What has the surface tension got to do with it if the shape is a sphere and the final volume is the sum of the two initial volumes?

actually i remember that droplets or bubbles are in equilibrium because of an excess pressure inside it which is due to the surface stretched to make the shape - its related to (2.surface tension/radius)so i thought that can give a relationship to get out of the jam'

drvrm said:
actually i remember that droplets or bubbles are in equilibrium because of an excess pressure inside it which is due to the surface stretched to make the shape its related to (surface tension/radius)so i thought that can give a relationship to get out of the jam'
I don't see where there is a "jam." It's strictly a mathematics problem.

Likes bioinformaticsgirl
bioinformaticsgirl said:

Homework Statement

Prove analytically that the surface area of the "joint" droplet S < S1 + S2.

Homework Equations

surface area of a sphere, volume of a sphere, and radius of a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have, but not sure how to factor this out and turn into the inequality proof:

S < S1 + S2

V = V1 + V2
Just substitute R from the volume equation for R in the inequality, and determine if it is satisfied.

Chestermiller said:
I don't see where there is a "jam." It's strictly a mathematics problem.

well ,i thought its related to idea of surface tension- it might have helped

drvrm said:
well ,i thought its related to idea of surface tension- it might have helped
But the problem does not have a thing about surface tension in it, so it doesn't help. It just adds confusion.

Likes Chestermiller
bioinformaticsgirl said:
S < S1 + S2

V = V1 + V2
Bear in mind that the second is what you are given and the first is what you are trying to show, but we can cross that bridge later.
Can you simplify those two equations?
Can you combine them to eliminate a variable?

Likes bioinformaticsgirl and Chestermiller
SammyS said:
But the problem does not have a thing about surface tension in it, so it doesn't help. It just adds confusion.

actually liquid drops are made/exist in spherical shape due to surface tension property- in general one can not have water drops of different radius possible . they may flow out - it may not form or stay in spherical shape- for a drop to exist the pressure inside must be greater than outside pressure by an amount 2.T/r-
but the present problem may be a purely 'mathematical' one -as @Chestermiller opined.

drvrm said:
actually liquid drops are made/exist in spherical shape due to surface tension property- in general one can not have water drops of different radius possible . they may flow out - it may not form or stay in spherical shape- for a drop to exist the pressure inside must be greater than outside pressure by an amount 2.T/r-
but the present problem may be a purely 'mathematical' one -as @Chestermiller opined.
Your determination to make surface tension relevant somehow reminds me of a classic BBCTV sitcom.
Basil Fawlty: What are you a doctor of?
Hotel Guest: Paediatrics
Fawlty: Feet?
Guest: Children
Fawlty: Well, children have feet, don't they?

Likes drvrm
drvrm said:
but the present problem may be a purely 'mathematical' one
That's my opinion, as well. The droplets assume a spherical shape because of surface tension, but that's all you need to say about surface tension. The problem is strictly a matter of geometry, comparing the volumes and surface areas of droplets before and after they coalesce.

Bringing up surface tension (several times) is really nothing more than a distraction in this problem.

Likes bioinformaticsgirl, Chestermiller and drvrm
Yes, I believe this boils down to a math problem for me at this point. I understand the concepts but it's been a long time for me since I have been in school so I'm still brushing up on my math. I'll spend some time working on understanding solving the inequality and substitution. Thank you all for the input. If anyone can direct me to what I should brush up on the math part to solve this. I have my algebra/calc book out reading inequalities now.

Chestermiller said:
Just substitute R from the volume equation for R in the inequality, and determine if it is satisfied.
So I take the V equation and solve it for R, then plug that in for R into the S equation. Got it. Working on it now...

So I have the following, and got a bit stuck.

V = V1 + V2

V = 4/3piR^3

Substitute
4/3piR^3 = 4/3piR1^3 + 4/3piR2^3 (R, R1 and R2 are variables)
Reduce:
R^3 = R1^3 + R2^3

S < S1 + S2

a = 4piR^2 (surface area formula, substitute to have both equations for R)

R^2 < R1^2 + R2^2

Is this correct so far, and now I am stuck with how to put the R^3 in for the R^2 in the second equation.

Thank you.

bioinformaticsgirl said:
So I have the following, and got a bit stuck.

V = V1 + V2

V = 4/3piR^3

Substitute
4/3piR^3 = 4/3piR1^3 + 4/3piR2^3 (R, R1 and R2 are variables)
Reduce:
R^3 = R1^3 + R2^3

S < S1 + S2

a = 4piR^2 (surface area formula, substitute to have both equations for R)

R^2 < R1^2 + R2^2

Is this correct so far, and now I am stuck with how to put the R^3 in for the R^2 in the second equation.

Thank you.
$$R^2=(R^3)^{2/3}$$

Likes bioinformaticsgirl
Got it. I think I'm having trouble with the distributive properties of exponents with the plus sign its not distributive. So when I plug that in, how do I distribute the exponent here?

R^3 = R1^3 + R2^3
convert to R^2
(R^3)2/3 = R^2
so
R^2 = (R1^3 + R2^3)^2/3 ? is this right

R^2 < R1^2 + R2^2
(R1^3 + R2^3)^2/3 < R1^2 + R2^2
0 < R1^2 + R2^2 - (R1^3 + R2^3)^2/3 ? need to simplify

bioinformaticsgirl said:
Got it. I think I'm having trouble with the distributive properties of exponents with the plus sign its not distributive. So when I plug that in, how do I distribute the exponent here?

R^3 = R1^3 + R2^3
convert to R^2
(R^3)2/3 = R^2
so
R^2 = (R1^3 + R2^3)^2/3 ? is this right

R^2 < R1^2 + R2^2
If A<B, then A3<B3. So cube both sides of the inequality, and show us what you get.

Chet

((R13 + R23)2/3)3 < (R12 + R22)3

0 < (R12 + R22)3 - ((R13 + R23)2/3)3

0 < (R12 + R22) - ((R13 + R23)2/3) factor out 3's?

bioinformaticsgirl said:

With regard to the left-hand side of the inequality ##((x)^a)^b=(x)^{ab}##

((R13 + R23)6/3 < (R12 + R22)3

(R13 + R23)2 < (R12 + R22)3

0 < (R12 + R22)3 - (R13 + R23)2

bioinformaticsgirl said:

((R13 + R23)6/3 < (R12 + R22)3

(R13 + R23)2 < (R12 + R22)3

0 < (R12 + R22)3 - (R13 + R23)2
Good. Now expand the two terms out.

I used the foil method to expand the monomials (did this part on paper but did not include here):

Expand the first part to:

R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26

Expand the second part to:

R16 + 2R13R23 + R26

Back to the equation with those expanded

0 < R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26 - (R16 + 2R13R23 + R26)

simplify

0 < 3R14 + 3R24R12 - 2R13R23

bioinformaticsgirl said:
I used the foil method to expand the monomials (did this part on paper but did not include here):

Expand the first part to:

R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26

Expand the second part to:

R16 + 2R13R23 + R26

Back to the equation with those expanded

0 < R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26 - (R16 + 2R13R23 + R26)

simplify

0 < 3R14 + 3R24R12 - 2R13R23
OK. The first term in your last equation is missing a factor of ##R_2^2##. Next, divide by ##R_1^2R_2^2##. What do you get?

Found my factoring mistake. Now I see the common divisor.

0 < R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26 - R16 - 2R13R23 - R26
0 < 3R12 + 3R22 - 2R1R2

bioinformaticsgirl said:
Found my factoring mistake. Now I see the common divisor.

0 < R16 + 3R14R22 + 3R24R12 + R26 - R16 - 2R13R23 - R26
0 < 3R12 + 3R22 - 2R1R2
Good. Can you see a way to express the right hand side as a sum of terms, each of which is guaranteed non-negative (and at least one is nonzero).

Using the square of a binomial where (u + v)2 = u2 - 2uv +v2 I would think I can find the sum of terms with this, but I'm not totally sure what to do with those 3's.

I rewrite into standard form:
0 < 3R12 - 2R1R2 + 3R22

Oh wait. those are for a single variable x, whereas I essentially have an x and a y... Not sure which rule to use here.

0 < (R1 - R2)^2 would give me something close but those 3's I'm not sure what to do with.

Last edited:
bioinformaticsgirl said:
Oh wait. those are for a single variable x, whereas I essentially have an x and a y... Not sure which rule to use here.

0 < (R1 - R2)^2 would give me something close but those 3's I'm not sure what to do with.
What's the obvious way to get 3R12+3R22 from R12+R22 ?

bioinformaticsgirl said:
Using the square of a binomial where (u + v)2 = u2 - 2uv +v2 I would think I can find the sum of terms with this, but I'm not totally sure what to do with those 3's.

I rewrite into standard form:
0 < 3R12 - 2R1R2 + 3R22
Suppose you wrote ##3R_1^2+3R_2^2-2R_1R_2=2R_1^2+2R_2^2+(R_1^2-2R_1R_2+R_2^2)##
Would that help?

What is water droplet coalescence?

Water droplet coalescence is the process by which two or more smaller water droplets combine to form a larger droplet. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as collision, surface tension, or electrostatic attraction.

Why is it important to prove that S < S1 + S2 in water droplet coalescence?

This inequality is important because it helps us understand the behavior of water droplets and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as meteorology, where the coalescence of water droplets is a key factor in the formation of rain.

What does S, S1, and S2 represent in the equation S < S1 + S2?

In this equation, S represents the surface area of the resulting droplet after coalescence, while S1 and S2 represent the surface areas of the individual droplets before coalescence. This equation is used to determine the relationship between the surface areas of the droplets before and after coalescence.

How can S < S1 + S2 be proven experimentally?

This inequality can be proven experimentally by conducting controlled experiments where two or more water droplets are brought into contact and their resulting surface area is measured. By varying the size and number of droplets, the relationship between S, S1, and S2 can be observed and analyzed.

What are the practical applications of understanding water droplet coalescence?

Understanding water droplet coalescence has practical applications in various fields such as meteorology, agriculture, and materials science. It can help us predict and control the formation of rain, improve irrigation techniques, and enhance the production of materials such as pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.