Water droplet coalescence - prove S < S1 + S2

  • Thread starter Thread starter bioinformaticsgirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 5K views
Oh wait. those are for a single variable x, whereas I essentially have an x and a y... Not sure which rule to use here.

0 < (R1 - R2)^2 would give me something close but those 3's I'm not sure what to do with.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bioinformaticsgirl said:
Oh wait. those are for a single variable x, whereas I essentially have an x and a y... Not sure which rule to use here.

0 < (R1 - R2)^2 would give me something close but those 3's I'm not sure what to do with.
What's the obvious way to get 3R12+3R22 from R12+R22 ?
 
bioinformaticsgirl said:
Using the square of a binomial where (u + v)2 = u2 - 2uv +v2 I would think I can find the sum of terms with this, but I'm not totally sure what to do with those 3's.

I rewrite into standard form:
0 < 3R12 - 2R1R2 + 3R22
Suppose you wrote ##3R_1^2+3R_2^2-2R_1R_2=2R_1^2+2R_2^2+(R_1^2-2R_1R_2+R_2^2)##
Would that help?