1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that [itex]f: X \rightarrow Y[/itex] is a continuous function.

1. Aug 15, 2014 #1
    My question is:

Let [itex]f:\bigcup_{\alpha}A_{\alpha} \rightarrow Y[/itex] be a function between the topological spaces Y and [itex]X=\bigcup_{\alpha}A_{\alpha}[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]f|A_{\alpha}[/itex] is a continuous function for every [itex]\alpha[/itex] and that [itex]{A_{\alpha}}[/itex] is locally finite collection. Suppose that [itex]A_{\alpha}[/itex] is closed for every [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Show that: [itex]f[/itex] is continuous.

Any hints?

I'm stuck with this problem for some days. Some gave me answers on mathematics stackexchange. but it didn't make much sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What definition of continuity would you use?

4. Aug 15, 2014 #3
    ِA function [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] between two topological spaces [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is continuous if the preimage of any open set of [itex]Y[/itex] is an open set of [itex]X[/itex].

5. Aug 15, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. Do you perhaps know of others characterizations of continuity that would be more handy in this case?

6. Aug 16, 2014 #5
    Sure, I know that a function is continuous if the preimage of an closed set is closed. and a set is closed iff its closure is the set itself. I lately heared that an element x is in the closure of a set if every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] intersects the set itself.

a function is continuous iff for every [itex]x[/itex] in the domain. the preimage of a neighborhood [itex]U[/itex] of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex].

Note: I got an answer for the question here (Mathematics StackExchange )but I still concerned in knowing different ideas for the problem as it puzzeled me for several days :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted