• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Prove that [itex]f: X \rightarrow Y[/itex] is a continuous function.

My question is:

Let [itex]f:\bigcup_{\alpha}A_{\alpha} \rightarrow Y[/itex] be a function between the topological spaces Y and [itex]X=\bigcup_{\alpha}A_{\alpha}[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]f|A_{\alpha}[/itex] is a continuous function for every [itex]\alpha[/itex] and that [itex]{A_{\alpha}}[/itex] is locally finite collection. Suppose that [itex]A_{\alpha}[/itex] is closed for every [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Show that: [itex]f[/itex] is continuous.

Any hints?

I'm stuck with this problem for some days. Some gave me answers on mathematics stackexchange. but it didn't make much sense.

Answers and Replies

What definition of continuity would you use?

What definition of continuity would you use?
ِA function [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] between two topological spaces [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is continuous if the preimage of any open set of [itex]Y[/itex] is an open set of [itex]X[/itex].

ِA function [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] between two topological spaces [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is continuous if the preimage of any open set of [itex]Y[/itex] is an open set of [itex]X[/itex].
Yes. Do you perhaps know of others characterizations of continuity that would be more handy in this case?

Sure, I know that a function is continuous if the preimage of an closed set is closed. and a set is closed iff its closure is the set itself. I lately heared that an element x is in the closure of a set if every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] intersects the set itself.

a function is continuous iff for every [itex]x[/itex] in the domain. the preimage of a neighborhood [itex]U[/itex] of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex].

Note: I got an answer for the question here (Mathematics StackExchange )but I still concerned in knowing different ideas for the problem as it puzzeled me for several days :)