Prove that lim gn for n→∞ exists, and find it.

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dannysaf
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dannysaf
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Suppose g1 , g2 ,... are any numbers that satisfy the inequalities
0 < gn < 1 and (1 − gn )gn+1 > 1/4 for all n.

Prove that lim gn for n→∞ exists, and find it.


I need well substantiated answer! Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dannysaf said:
Suppose g1 , g2 ,... are any numbers that satisfy the inequalities
0 < gn < 1 and (1 − gn )gn+1 > 1/4 for all n.

Prove that lim gn for n→∞ exists, and find it.


I need well substantiated answer! Thanks.


Is this a homework problem? I'll give you a hint. Show:

[tex]\frac 1 {4(1-x)} \ge x[/tex]

on the interval, consequently showing your sequence gn is increasing. Then...