Prove that recurrence relation is odd

In summary, the conversation discusses using mathematical induction to prove that bn is odd for integers n>=1. The individual has solved the task correctly and is wondering if they can use strong or complete induction. The solution involves using the recurrence relation and proving that bk+1 is odd. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to check a specific page for further clarification.
njama

Homework Statement

Hello!

I just want to be sure if I did solve the task correctly.

The task is:

Prove that bn is odd for integers n>=1

b1=1
b2=3
bk=bk-2+2bk-1 for k>=3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Induction basis:

b1=1 true 1 is odd
b2=3 true 2 is odd

Now the question is:

Could I use the strong (complete) induction?

If I can use it, the solution is simple:

Let the recurrence relation is true for all k, such that n<k and n=k i.e n<=k
bk=bk-2+2bk-1

then for n=k+1

bk+1=bk-1+2bk

bk-1 is odd and 2bk is even therefore odd+even=odd

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers or functions, where each term is defined in terms of one or more previous terms.

2. How do you prove that a recurrence relation is odd?

To prove that a recurrence relation is odd, you can use mathematical induction. First, show that the first term in the sequence is odd. Then, assume that the recurrence relation holds for some arbitrary value n. Finally, using this assumption, prove that the recurrence relation also holds for n+1. If this is true, then the recurrence relation is odd for all values of n.

3. Can a recurrence relation be both odd and even?

No, a recurrence relation cannot be both odd and even. This is because a recurrence relation is defined as either odd or even based on the parity of the first term in the sequence. If the first term is odd, then all subsequent terms will also be odd, and vice versa for even.

4. What is the significance of proving that a recurrence relation is odd?

Proving that a recurrence relation is odd can be useful in solving problems related to sequences, such as finding closed-form expressions or determining the behavior of the sequence as n approaches infinity. It can also help in understanding the underlying patterns and properties of the sequence.

5. Can a recurrence relation be proven to be odd using a different method besides mathematical induction?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that a recurrence relation is odd, such as direct proof or contradiction. However, mathematical induction is often the most straightforward and efficient method for proving the oddness of a recurrence relation.