1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that spec of root 2 contains infinitely many powers of 2.

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    Spec of root 2 is that set of elements floor(k * (root 2)) ; k >= 0 .

I have no idea of how I can prove the statement in the question.

Prove that spec of root 2 contains infinitely many powers of 2.
    I need ideas on how to proceed.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is meant by the "spec" of root 2? I have never seen that term.

RGV

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3
    Here, it means Spec√2= {⌊k√2⌋ : k≥0}

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Spectrum?

6. Oct 5, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's little tricky. Here's big hint. Pick k=floor(2^n*sqrt(2)). Think about what binary representation of sqrt(2) looks like. Play around with that for a while.

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6
    I've been thinking about it but I can't seem to move ahead.
    sqrt(2) is irrational. It's binary representation has no pattern.
    It would look like 1.0110101000001001111... and multiplying by 2^n would left-shift it n times.
    Taking floor of this irrational number loses a portion of the number. And inside the Spec definition, we have floor (k * √2) and this floor would lose some number too.
    Finally if √2 * √2 * 2 ^ n = 2 ^(n+1), this attempt leads to an interger smaller than that.
    Where should I be heading?

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I'm actually running into the same problem. It's pretty easy to show 2^n*sqrt(2)-floor(2^n*sqrt(2)) is less than 1/2 an infinite number of times and I thought that would cover it, but I keep getting an inequality pointing the wrong way.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. Oct 6, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I think you can do it. You can either pick 2^n*sqrt(2)-floor(2^n*sqrt(2)) to be in (0,1/2) or (1/2,1) (both happen an infinite number of times). Note it would also work fine if you could show the choice of k=floor(2^n*sqrt(2))+1 works. Just draw some careful diagrams of where all the numbers lie relative to each other.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook