Prove that the following series converges for any fixed value

  • Thread starter Thread starter JG89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
JG89
Messages
724
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Prove that the following series converges for any fixed value of x: [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{ sin(nx) (-1)^n}{ln(n)}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried using Leibniz's test and Abel's test. I had no luck. I've rewriting the summation using
"summation by parts" but I've had no luck doing that either. I haven't learned any convergence tests like the ratio test, root test, integral test, etc, so I assume I have to answer this question without knowledge of those tests.

Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Have you heard of Dirichlet's test? By the way, are you still reading through Courant?
 


Never heard of Dirichlet's test. Later on I will return to studying Courant (that answers your question), so I will look it up then.
 


I took a look at the Abel-Dedekind-Dirichlet Theorem.

It says that if the sum of a_n from n = 1 to infinity converges and the sequence b_n is of bounded variation, then the series of (a_n)(b_n) from n = 1 to infinity converges.

I will take the series from n = 1 to infinity of a_n = (-1)^n/ln(n), which converges by the alternating series test.

I now have to show that sin(nx) is of bounded variation. I suppose I will have to rewrite sin(nx) = sin((n-1)x + x) and then use the formula sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b).

I will get cracking on that tomorrow.
 


You can also estimate sin(nx) using the identity sin(mx)sin(nx) = (1/2)[cos(m-n)x - cos(m+n)x] (easy proof). Also, I don't think it's too hard to prove that a function with a continuous derivative is of bounded variation.

Anyways, I don't know if this test is in Courant. I've mainly been reading the earlier stuff on convergence (i.e. first appendix), and that was why I asked about Courant.