1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the following series converges for any fixed value

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the following series converges for any fixed value of x: [tex] \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{ sin(nx) (-1)^n}{ln(n)} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried using Leibniz's test and Abel's test. I had no luck. I've rewriting the summation using
    "summation by parts" but I've had no luck doing that either. I haven't learned any convergence tests like the ratio test, root test, integral test, etc, so I assume I have to answer this question without knowledge of those tests.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Jg89

Have you heard of Dirichlet's test? By the way, are you still reading through Courant?

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3

Never heard of Dirichlet's test. Later on I will return to studying Courant (that answers your question), so I will look it up then.

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4

What about the (direct) comparison test?

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5

I took a look at the Abel-Dedekind-Dirichlet Theorem.

It says that if the sum of a_n from n = 1 to infinity converges and the sequence b_n is of bounded variation, then the series of (a_n)(b_n) from n = 1 to infinity converges.

I will take the series from n = 1 to infinity of a_n = (-1)^n/ln(n), which converges by the alternating series test.

I now have to show that sin(nx) is of bounded variation. I suppose I will have to rewrite sin(nx) = sin((n-1)x + x) and then use the formula sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b).

I will get cracking on that tomorrow.

7. Jul 6, 2009 #6

You can also estimate sin(nx) using the identity sin(mx)sin(nx) = (1/2)[cos(m-n)x - cos(m+n)x] (easy proof). Also, I don't think it's too hard to prove that a function with a continuous derivative is of bounded variation.

Anyways, I don't know if this test is in Courant. I've mainly been reading the earlier stuff on convergence (i.e. first appendix), and that was why I asked about Courant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook